Chapter 36

Amelia's eyes stayed on the false sky. She wasn't sure who was taking the first watch but didn't care. She was too tired to care. She was thinking about a lot of things, like Finnick. His words stuck with her. He could have let Peeta die, and he easily could have turned on them but didn't. He also had Haymitch's bangle, which meant Haymitch had spoken to him. There was a plan between them, but Amelia couldn't figure out what. All she knew was that Haymitch trusted him, which meant she would too. Still, if he tried anything, she would happily cut his throat.

Her body is slumped on a few rocks, but she's too tired to notice how uncomfortable the position is. She's starting to fall asleep when the Panem anthem begins playing. Her eyes open, and she stares at the sky. They show who has already died. It starts with District 5. Each person's face is shown for a few seconds. 

District 9 consists of the person she killed. Amelia had killed him. He was dead because of her. Seeing his face plastered above caused a vast amount of emotions. None were good.

Amelia turns onto her side. She is no longer able to look at the sky. The music continues for ten more seconds before ceasing entirely. Mags is beside her. She is using her arms to cover her face. Amelia feels guilty. The woman is older than everyone else. She knows she won't make it far, but there is nothing she can do. Volunteering for Annie was a noble thing to do.

Suddenly, Peeta pushes off the ground and begins jogging. Amelia reacts quickly, her knife in her hand as she searches the area for others. But there are no others. Katniss is holding something. Beside her is an empty metal box. It's a gift from a sponsor. Amelia stands up and follows Peeta towards them. "What is it?"

"A spile," Finnick responds. That causes her to move faster. It's an interesting thing to be sent. Amelia knows Haymitch is the one who sent it.

For a moment, nothing happens. Then water starts to spill out of the tree. "Yes," Katniss whispers.

"You're kidding me." Finnick moves closer. It's crazy to Amelia that they are all having this reaction to something as simple as water. This morning they were all in the Capitol, where there was plenty of water. "Get some water." Katniss goes first, then Peeta. Finnick gestures for Amelia to go next. She's thankful for his kindness. She desperately needs water.

Sticking her head under the spile, she lets the warm water fall into her mouth. She's desperate for it.

It's refreshing in a way she can't explain. Amelia doesn't spend too much time there. Finnick and Mags still need water. Stepping away, Finnick takes his turn. The girl momentarily looks up at the sky, a small smile on her face. 

Words can't describe how thankful she is for Haymitch. Part of her hopes he's watching, but the other part doesn't. Right now, things are fine. But they won't be like this for long. "I'm going to get a leaf." Finnick dashes to find a leaf to fill for Mags. Katniss returns to the water. Wanting to get as much of it as she can.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia takes second watch with Peeta, but he falls asleep quickly. She stays awake for a while, eyes on the trees in front of her. Suddenly, there's a noise. It sounds like something bashing against metal, almost instrumental. She's on high alert instantly. The others wake up as well. It happens twelve times, but Amelia isn't sure what it means.

"I counted twelve," Katniss says.

"Midnight?"

"Or the number of Districts." The Gamemakers don't do anything without reason. It had to be important.

There's another sound, and then lighting strikes a tree. It happens multiple times as well. "Well," Finnick says. "If you won't sleep, I will." The boy pushes off the rocks and walks down a few feet towards Mags.