Chapter 4

"Nowhere to run, Amelia," Georgia screamed at her. "Just give up." Amelia ignored her and continued running through the brush. Her leg was throbbing from the cut she had gotten falling down a small ridge. There were only four of them left, and two were Careers. One was Georgia, who had it out for her. "Come on!"

Amelia's foot landed on an iced-over lake, causing her to slide. By now, Georgia was close, close enough to throw her ax. There was no time to turn back. Amelia pushed up onto her feet and attempted to slide across the lake. Using the end of her spear, she tried to steady herself. Georgia threw her ax but missed as Amelia's body fell forward. It had barely missed. She gasped, seeing the weapon lodged in the ice. The impact had caused the ice to break apart.

Georgia let out an annoyed scream and began moving across the ice closer to her. Amelia's fingers were trembling from both the cold and fear. The dark-haired career grabbed her last ax and threw it at her. The weapon skimmed her shoulder, causing Amelia to hit the ice hard. Georgia flew across the lake and grabbed a knife from her pocket. Jumping on top of her, she began trying to stab her. "Just give up," Georgia smirked down at her.

"Screw you," Amelia used her spear to keep the knife from her face. But Georgia was stronger, and every second that went by, the blade advanced closer and closer.

Amelia could feel the ice beneath her start to crack. The impact of her body had caused the already delicate ice to break. An idea formed in her mind, and she moved up and then back down in an attempt to shatter the ice and send them both in the water. But it wasn't working. There wasn't enough momentum. Georgia raised her arm, ready to take Amelia out entirely. But Amelia's actions were quicker. Thrusting her hips up, she sent the girl over her head and face-first into the ice.

Georgia growled and attempted to stand up. Her legs were shaky, and blood dripped from her nose. Grabbing her spear, Amelia slammed it into the ice, and in an instant, it broke. The hole was small, but was big enough to fit a person. Her goal was to push them in.

"I'm gonna kill you." Georgia no longer had her knife. It had gotten tossed aside, but that didn't matter. Amelia barely had time to brace herself. Georgia threw her entire body weight into Amelia, which didn't work to her advantage. The ice was slippery, and it caused her to stumble.

The events that unfolded next were blurry for Amelia. As Georgia began to regain her balance, she used her spear to knock her feet from under her. The younger girl once more toppled back, but her right leg fell into the hole. In seconds her entire body was under the water, but to Amelia's surprise, she never came back up.

Georgia could hardly be seen under the ice. Her hands were desperately trying to find the hole. But she never did. Amelia stood still, partly in shock as she watched the scene unfold. It took her less than a minute to die—the ice-cold water causing the air to leave her faster.

The sound of the cannon going off brought Amelia back to her sense. She began to run away but stopped to grab the ax lodged in the ground. There were only three of them left now, and she was determined to get out.

Amelia gasped as she awoke. Her dream wasn't really a dream but a disturbing memory. The memories of her games haunted her, especially when she returned to the Capitol. She knew her actions weren't truly her. They were the actions of a scared girl in the Hunger Games. But still, Georgia was dead because of her. Augustus was dead because of her. And so were all the others she lured to kill each other with her fires. They were all dead because of her.

Throwing the covers off of her, Amelia stumbled out of her room. She needed to distance herself from the darkness and confinement of her room. Taking the stairs nearly two at a time, Amelia scanned the room for others. It was late into the night, and everyone should be asleep. But sometimes, the tributes or Haymitch would be up. Luckily tonight, nobody was around.