Chapter Twelve

My nerves were allover the place. I couldn't think properly, all that was on my mind was the paternity test results. The doctor called us two days after that the results were ready.

Was I ready to know my fate?

Hell no.

Miles has been super supportive ever since. When I told him that I was scared of going to know the results, he told me that if I didn't want to know that it was fine. That he'd still be with me no matter what the results may be.

I have tried not to think about Andrew and I won't lie, it is the hardest shit ever. Almost everything around me, everything I own has some memory of Andrew.

I just might leave my house and go far away, to where the memories of Andrew won't hurt me. Huge parts of me have been thinking that maybe this whole thing was a mistake, that maybe I shouldn't have moved on with Miles, that maybe Andrew was still coming back.

But that was a big maybe and a risk that I didn't know if I was willing to take and stay in. What if  he was never truly coming back.

"Victoria, you ready?" Miles' voice asked and his footsteps were heard behind me.

"One sec," I added another layer of mascara before closing it and throwing it into my drawer and shutting the drawer.

Miles was looking at me in some weird way and my brows shut up in question. "What?"

"Nothing," he shook his head and stretched his hand forward. "Come on."

I placed my hand in his as we walked out of the house together. He opened the passengers  door for me, as usual and I got in.

Mum was already at the hospital when we got there and I forced a smile for her. We were told to wait for ten minutes before we were attended to.

I didn't completely understand all the vocabulary the doctor used and when I asked him to simplify it he cleared his throat and spoke.

"It's a match with..." He paused increasing the suspense in the air. "Mr. Ezzeh."

I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing.

Four months ago, I would have wished to hear that but now I don't know how to feel about this. A part of me has already began wishing that the child is for Miles, that way I wouldn't have to deal with Andrew.

With chosing Miles, I began to push away everything I feel for Andrew. My need and longing for him, the overwhelming love I feel for him, every fucking thing.

Maybe I should have just waited for the results before I chose anyone. But it wouldn't be fair on me if Andrew only came back to my life because of the baby that I carry for him.

That would mean that he loves me conditionally and I don't want that kind of love. I know what I did was despicable and I have no justification for it but what happened to forever that he promised? He promised me an unconditional love so if he goes back on his words, I can't deal with that.

I'm not going to deny Andrew access to his child but he shouldn't expect forever with me anymore.

This wasn't what I wanted for my life or my child but I don't have another option now.

"Victoria, are you okay?" Mum asked, her hand over mine on my laps.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I forced a smile.

We said goodbye to the doctor and left the building.

"Victoria, do you want to tell Andrew yourself?" Mum asked as we both sat in the back of the car.

She didn't drive here so Miles was going to drive her home.

"No, if he cares to know he should come over himself." I said and I meant it.

He knows I'm pregnant and he knows that it's right about time I'd find out who the father is. If he cares to know if he's the father and he cares to be in the life of our baby then he'd come out of hiding and stop being a coward.

"Are you sure?" Mum's voice held pure concern.

"Very sure mum, can we just go?" I looked at Miles now and he nodded as he backed out of the car park.

The car ride to drop mum was silent and even to my house. As we got home, my phone rang, informing me of an incoming video call with Funke.

"Hey babe, how's it going? Have you seen the test results?" She asked in a rush and I chuckled.

"Yeah, Andrew's the dad." I told her and her mouth formed an o-shape.

"Are you going to tell him?" She looked up from the screen and nodded.

"No, if he cares to know he'd come out of hiding." I told her what I told mum.

She opened her mouth to speak and Adrian's voice drowned her words. He was warning her... Not to speak? What could they be hiding from me?

Funke muted her call and faced Adrian who was obviously in front of her. I rested my head on my hand that I rested on the kitchen counter and I watched her mouth move. She was angry and obviously ready to beat Adrian at that moment.

After about five minutes she unmuted the call and looked back at me. "I'm sorry about that."

"What are you guys hiding from me?" I went straight to the point.

"Nothing, no one is hiding anything." She shook her head. She wasn't given anything away but I knew that something was amiss.

Every single person, my mum, dad, Miles and now Funke and Adrian.

"Look Victoria I know that you've been through a lot of recent but I think it's best you take a break from all these. Chosing Miles and then now finding out the child is for Andrew, maybe Nigeria isn't the best place for you." She paused. "Maybe you and Miles should take a vacation or visit New York for the first time."

"I've been to New York before." I deadpanned.

She rolled her eyes. "You get my point. Chicago holds memories of Andrew and I know you don't want that."

I nodded in agreement,  "you're right."

"Just think about it."

"Okay," I pulled my lips to a thin line.

"Hey Riya, how are you?" Adrian came into view and we talked for about an hour.

When I hung up, Miles told me to join him in the dining. Apparently while I was on the call, he had gone out and gotten us food.

"Funke suggested something," I started.

Maybe it would be good for Miles and I, kind of like a fresh start. Honestly that's all I need right now. A fresh start that doesn't involve Andrew.

"What did she suggest?" He looked completely interested in what I wanted to say.

"That we take a break. Maybe on a vacation, or to New York or just somewhere Andrew isn't." I said.

He clenched his jaw at the mention of Andrew. "You want to travel again? Remember you're-"

"Pregnant I know," I rolled my eyes. "I'm pregnant not about to die. Is there a law that says I can't travel pregnant?"

He took a sip of his coke. "If that's what you want then."

"Would you come with me?"

"If that's what you want. I'm here for you." He placed a hand over mine and at that moment I started planning the trip.

This is either going to backfire on me or it's going to be the best thing to happen to me. At this point I'm ready for whatever as long as it doesn't involve Andrew.

***

Literally wrote this while in class so it's unedited. I apologise for the errors, I'll edit later.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!