Chapter Twenty Six

Victoria's POV

"Now I have the strength to tell you everything." Temi said as she walked into my "cell."

I sat up and stared at her.

Jack placed a chair in front of the bed I was laying on and walked away, closing the door behind him.

Temi sat and crossed her legs. "Are you ready? To hear the truth?"

I didn't respond, just stared at her.

She chuckled. "Okay. So twenty nine years ago, my mother along with some friends visited New Jersey. It was a really nice summer." She snickered.

"Anyways, there she met my father. Caleb Black, son of  Alex Black the owner of one of the biggest publishing companies in all of America."

There's no way in hell that my father is her father. She is definitely wrong about all these. Her mother lied to her.

"My father was visiting his grandfather in New Jersey his home town."

My father really is from New Jersey. It's just a coincidence that her father is also from New Jersey. It's not possible.

"Sparks flew and they fell in love instantly." A smile was on her face. "Well at least my mother was in love with him, he had his eyes on someone else." Her smile dropped. "A one night stand led to pregnancy. My mum told my father about it and that was when he broke the news, that he was in love with someone else and to be married in a month. He gave her some money, a lot of it actually and begged her not to let anyone know that he was the father of the child. My mum agreed and they both decided that she'd give birth in New Jersey while my father went ahead to marry the love of his life."

She uncrossed her legs. "Mum was content with it, as long as he played his part and supported her financially. She went back to Nigeria because she wanted to depite the fact that she could actually stay here. All was well until I was ten and suddenly, we never heard from him again. She didn't have any way to reach him. So she just gave up."

She sighed. "I turned eighteen and my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. The doctors told her she had two years to live. She was the only family I knew so she wanted me to get in touch with my father you know so he can support me after she's gone. She tried everything to reach him but she couldn't. All the money she had was spent on her drugs so I couldn't even get on a plane to come find him for myself. I did anything and everything to earn money. She lived longer than the doctors had said, three extra years but those three years were horrible." She shook her head.

I felt like crying, I really did. I can't even begin to imagine what she felt when she lost her mother , having to watch her mother go through so much pain.

She sniffed. "After she died I was lucky enough to find someone who helped me get on a plane to Chicago in search of my father. Apparently, I was a year late because my father and his family had moved to Lagos the year before. I came back to Nigeria, got my bearings and got a job at my father's company."

She smiled at herself. "I wanted to just let him know and see if he would still support me despite the fact that he had stopped years ago. I wanted to be on my own and live my life, maybe find a reasonable person to marry and just forget about my father but I had a better idea."

She smirked. "I don't care to know why he forgot about my mother and I, I just want want to get my revenge. I lost the only person I knew and loved so I'm going to take someone he knows and loves. An eye for an eye."

"I'm very sure you don't know who your father is. My father would never forget or give up his responsibilities. Your mother lied to you." I told her.