Chapter Twenty Seven

I was home and safe, but I needed answers, answers that only my father could give me.

Andrew had told me how they had used my watch to find me and how dad had to tell them the whole story of how Temi is my step sister so at this point, I was the only one in the dark here.

Temi and her goons were arrested, apparently they used tranquilizers to knock them out so as not to make so much noise or to mistakenly kill  them.

They were all currently in for questioning.

I had taken a shower and rested and even though the doctor says I still need more rest but the longer I stay without the information I need, the harder it is for me to rest.

So I begged my dad to come to my room and tell me the whole story himself.

"Dad I'm waiting." I told him.

We've been sitting in silence for a whole minute and he still hasn't said a word.

He sighed. "First I'm sorry for all this, I put you in all this mess and I'm sorry." He took my hand in his. "Please forgive me."

"I'm safe now dad and I know that there is some sort of explanation for all this. Everything Temi said can't be true right?"

The room door opened and in walked Ana. "God I was so scared."

She threw herself on me and I pulled my hand from dad's and hugged her back. I missed her so much.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Did they hit you? How's the baby?" She asked these questions as she scanned me from head to toe. She placed her hand on my stomach as if she could know if the baby was fine just like that.

"I'm fine Ana, the doctor said I'm fine and I feel fine." I assured her and her shoulders dropped in relief. "I was so scared." She held my face. "It should have been me I'm sorry." Her tears rolled down her face and I reached out to wipe them.

"Don't apologise please, it's all over now." All the tears I had tried to fight earlier all came rushing down.

The door opened again and this time mum walked in. When she saw Ana and I crying she joined us and pulled us both to herself. Dad wrapped his arms around all three of us as we all cried.

"I'm sorry," dad apologised. "I caused all this."

"Caleb I've told you, don't apologise for people's messed up minds. Her mental instability isn't your fault." Mum scolded dad.

"But if I had just tried harder to reach out, I'd have found out that they were still alive." Dad said as he wiped his eyes.

"What do you mean dad?" I think it was time he told the whole story.

"I gave them all the support they needed but one day I had someone visit me in the office. He claimed to be Jennifer's sister. He told me that Jennifer and Temi had died in a car crash that I should stop sending the money I usually do every month." He started explaining. "I begged for him to let me at least say my final goodbye. Even if I couldn't love Jennifer like I love your mum but I definitely loved Temi, she is after all my blood but he didn't allow me. I tried reaching her family despite the man's threat but I had to stop when he threatened to involve the police and get a restraining order."

"And you somehow didn't recognize Temi when she started working for me?" Ana asked the question I was just about to ask.

"I never knew what she looked like. Her mother never agreed to send me pictures of Temi. She said that if I wanted to keep the child a secret that it was best I didn't have any real connection with the child. She never even told me the child's name. All I knew was I had a daughter whose surname was Ajayi, that was all. The last time I spoke to Jennifer was when Temi was born and she was back to Nigeria. The only thing that somehow linked us was the money that was scheduled to be wired to her account every month."