XXXII. Intelligent Responses

"Well, your face is the reason babies cry." 

Hearing vicious heels, I glance over while the people around me continuously hover over my body to pick out the right outfit. Out stepped a young woman, whose face was completely red with a man behind her.

Why do they look so familiar?

Why am I so bad with faces?

He rests an arm around her shoulder. "Short Stack. You look like a cute Bambi," he said, placing a black card in the air. The worker behind him who had a huge smile grabbed it and bowed before rushing towards the cashier. Behind him were two other workers who were wrapping up a pile of clothes.

"Wow," I said, feeling strangers' hands all over my body. Is this considered sexual harassment?

"Well, your face still makes babies cry," she stuck out her tongue at him. She glances over his shoulder. "Are you sure we need this much stuff for one party?"

He smiles, like an idiot, a handsome idiot. "Don't worry about it."

Am I witnessing one of those situations?

"Long Bean." Long Bean? "You really should stop buying stuff for me" she grumbles, scratching her elbow.

The worker returns the black card, and he smoothly slides it back into his wallet. "You can cook for me tonight...as a thank you," he grins.

Wow. That guy. That guy definitely fell hard.

She smiles, and the anger from earlier seems to diminish as he pulls her in closer. When they began walking out the door, the monitor started beeping. "Oh, crap! I'm still wearing their dress. I'm not stealing!" she said urgently. He threw back his head and laughed.

I look at Anthony who ignores the rowdy couple. One of the workers walks towards them and smiles. "It's okay. Please, take the dress as a gift, from us to you," she said casually before a few men walked into the store and grabbed what seemed to be a dozen bags.

"Thank you Mr.Greyson and Mrs.Greyson for supporting Rucci," everyone spoke in a unanimous tone before the man grabbed the woman out of the store.

"Mr.Greyson?" the woman in front of me began measuring my waist, "I thought Matthew Greyson is a bachelor? No?"

The woman behind me straightened my arm "You haven't heard? Matthew Greyson is off the market; everyone knows that."

"Who is she?" the woman holding the stack of clothes asks.

"Umm, I think her name is Nina Sun?"

"Never heard of her."

"Of course, you haven't; she is a nobody from a nowhere town - Watertown or something."

"How did she get him?"

"My wife is here to shop, not listen to insignificant information that will rot her brain," Anthony said, without looking up from his phone.

But, it's interesting. I don't hear gossip often. Even when I do, it's usually in Italian so I can barely understand it.

Quickly, the ladies shut their mouths. When they finished molesting me in front of my husband, they ushered me into the changing room. Putting on a pencil skirt and button-up white shirt, I wonder what in the world everyone is thinking.

I step out of the changing room, and Anthony looks at me, face unchanging "Hm," he responds intelligently.

There's a long pause in the air before he looks back down.

I tried on a flowy dress that seemed to fit my body in all the right places. I nod in approval of the soft fabric. Twirling inside the changing room, which was bigger than my old bedroom, I smile widely feeling a bit anxious to show Anthony. "Not a big deal," I mumble under my breath. I gathered all my courage and stepped out.