XVIII. The Wedding Part II

After our vows, we prepared for the after-party. I sat there, clutching my dress as Anthony continued talking to the guests. I don't know anyone in Italy, nor do I fluently speak Italian, so I couldn't join the conversations. A while back, Anthony realized my feet were aching, so he told me to go rest.

My eyes turn over to see the boys, playing with one another, shoving cake into their faces. Finally, having some time to scan the room, I realized that everything was exactly how I pictured my wedding to be. There were rows of lights shining on top of the roof, beautiful flowers across the table, the colors perfectly coordinating with one another. I didn't want much for my wedding, something simple.

Anthony told me that money wasn't an issue, believing I was holding back, but I told him this was precisely how I wanted my wedding to be. My eyes roam around to see many guards surround us with communication plugs into their ears. One thing I realize is that Anthony always has guards around him no matter where he goes.

When Lily and I went to school to sign up for classes, I noticed some familiar faces at school. I confronted him about the issue, and he told me he has enemies, not nice ones, who are after him, and the best way to go after him is through something precious to him - me. Again, sketchy.

I bit my lips, twiddling my thumbs when I remembered how he told me I was precious to him. 

Darn it, Angelica, get a grip! You are marrying the man for money, and he marries you because he is bored! Don't you fall for that charming act!

My eyes roam around once more, realizing I'm the minority in the room as the people continue taking peeks at the boys and me.

A pair of hands covered my eyes, "Guess who."

"Lily, really? What are we five?"

She takes a seat in front of me and crosses her legs. "You are no fun," she said, twirling her hair.

After some time, she holds my hand, "How does it feel, to be Mrs.Maranzano?"

"You know my last name is still legally Chisai, right?" I respond.

She arches a brow, "I know, but I just wanted to ask if you feel any different?"

"Excuse me," a deep voice said. I look up to see Anthony. "Mind if I take my wife away from you?"

"Go for it," Lily responds, waving her hand.

Anthony places out a hand, and I take it. He led us towards the dancefloor and smoothly wrapped a hand around my waist. The other hand tangled with mine as we swayed back and forth.

"You look beautiful," he whispers.

The blood rushes to my cheeks. I bit my bottom lips, attempting to pull on a poker face, but I knew it would fail when I saw a smile on his face. "Are you saying all the other days I don't look beautiful?" I said teasingly.

He pulled me inward, "Are you trying to create a fight on our wedding night?" 

"Maybe," I reply.

He releases my hand, wrapping it around my waist as I position mine on top of his shoulder. Even in heels, my head didn't meet his chin, making me wonder exactly how tall Anthony was, or maybe he was the normal one here, and I was too short.

"Mio Cuore, I know exactly what you're planning," he whispers in my ear.

"A-And w-what is it?" I stutter.

He outlines his fingers against my bareback. "Angry, rough make-up sex," he spoke slowly.

"W-What?" I squeak out.

I could feel his chest ruffled as a chuckle left his throat. He leans back, biting his lips, "You're adorable when you're nervous."

"Shut up," I mumbled, and he pulled me back in, swaying us back and forth. I lay on his chest, hearing the beating of his heart. I couldn't help but smile when I realized that he was also nervous.

Ba-dump.

Ba-dump.

Ba-

BANG!

I release a high-pitched shriek and jump into Anthony's arms.

The music stopped. 

"Fuck," Anthony said.

BANG!

Anthony tightens his grip around me as I hold him closer with my trembling hands. My eyes roam around to see everyone perfectly calm, too calm. What's going on? Why is everyone so calm?! A gun just went off!

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I yell once again. Anthony held me closer, petting my head as tears dripped down. "Shhh, calm down, it will be okay," he whispers.

"A-A-Anthony w-what's going o-on?" I stutter, holding onto his shirt. Why the fuck is everyone so calm?

Francesco rushed towards us, "We have a problem."

"Obviously," he responds in a deadly dry tone. He pulls my hands away from him. "Take my wife along with the others away from here, make sure nothing happens to them."

Francesco starts pulling me away, "Anthony wh-" I screamed when I heard another gunshot.

Anthony grabbed my wrist, pulled me into his arms, and swiftly went in for a passionate kiss. "Listen to Francesco, and whatever you do, do not look back," he states firmly.

"B-But what about y-you? Aren't you coming with us?" I ask, unable to control my shaky hands.

"I'll see you later," he said quickly, and a few men came up to him, exchanging words in Italian.

He turns back towards me, "Antho-"

"My wife, don't think I'll miss our wedding night and honeymoon," he whispers into my ears.

Before I can respond, Francesco drags me away from him. The sounds of gunshots were inching closer, making me want to piss my pants - wait - wedding dress.

"And whatever you do, do not look back."

At that moment, I should've listened to Anthony's warning, yet I didn't. While Francesco drags me out of the room, my head turns, looking back. A group of men surround Anthony as the front door bursts open, entering a guy holding a gun.

"Anth-" the words were taken away from me as my eyes widened when I saw Anthony pull out a gun. The beating inside my chest halted, and time seemed to slow down as I saw Anthony point the weapon straight at the guy and shoot him right in the head.

My eyes follow the guy as he drops to the floor with a loud thud. I revert my attention towards Anthony, who stands there, face deprived of any emotions. There was no regret, no guilt, no anger, absolutely nothing. Glimpsing into his eyes, it wasn't its usual vibrant blues, but dull, emotionless.

At the very second, only one line echoes inside my mind: My husband is a murderer.