I. Against all Odds

My phone rang, and I flinched at its sound. "I'm sorry...I didn't know why I-" I close my eyes to inhale a deep breath before hopping off of the counter and answering the phone. I walk a few distances away from Anthony and his intense stare. "H-Hello?"

"Is this Mrs.Winston?" Anthony informed me that it's better to put the boys underneath his less hazardous name. Okay, he didn't use the term hazardous.

"Yes, this is she."

"I'm calling in regards to Bruce, Clark, Barry Timberland, and Kevin Minnie."

I look up to see Anthony's mother entering the room, "W-What about them?" I ask, turning away.

"There seems to be a situation, and we ask for your presence."

Soon, we straddle toward the elementary school. I sent Lily a message, but she is in class, so I'm not sure when she will come. Moreover, for some reason, Anthony and his mother decided to ride along. When we reached the school, I couldn't help but heave a breath before exiting the car.

We entered the principal's office, and all four boys were sitting on the chair, along with two other boys on the other side of the room. There were even guardians of the other boys present. I sigh when I see bruises on both sides.

I would take a seat, but there wasn't a seat. I walked towards the principal who explained to me what had happened with Anthony and his mother still hovering in the background.

"What? Kevin skipped school?" I look at him, then the two boys across. "with you both?"

"Do not speak of our sons like that, it's obvious they are under your brother's influence," one of the mothers said then made a tch-like sound, while the other one stayed quiet. "This is what happens when kids don't have proper guardians." She should be grateful that Lily is busy with classes.

I ground my molars as Kevin continues to stay quiet. Inhaling a deep breath, I calm myself from the deadly glare. I kneel to his level. "Did you skip school?"

His fingers twine against one another. "I don't need school."

I scoffed. "You don't need school?" I didn't understand what made him think that way.

His eyes intensely pry into mine. "Yes, I'll help Big Brother Anthony and everyone else with the business they do in the future."

"You'll-" I'm at a loss for words, so I stand up. "And why are you three here?"

"We saw Kevin left the school at recess, so we tried to stop him. But, they hit us." Bruce points at the two boys settling in the chair.

I turn towards the principal. "According to the school conduct code, I'll accept the three weeks suspension for Kevin Minnie. However, Bruce, Clark, and Barry did not break any code, so they can still go to school correct?"

The principal sat there with his hands cupped together behind the desk. "Yes."

"And I believe the two other boys will receive the same punishment?"

"What! My son-"

"Yes, they will," the principal cut off the mother.

"Then, I'll take my leave with Kevin," I informed him, and he nodded. I turn towards the triplets. "The three of you, go back to class," I told them, and they nodded before the vice principal escorted them back.

I look at Kevin. "Let's go."

"I didn't do anything wrong."

My fingers dig deep into my palm. "Kevin Minnie! Let's go."

He folds his arms and glares at me. "I didn't do anything wrong! I'm not going! I'm-"

I slap him.

The whole room went quiet.