XLV. Bite Me

I wake up with my cheeks and body bath in a cold sweat. The sheets were twisted around my limbs, probably because of my constant thrashing while my heart pounded against my ribcage. I look around the inky room, illuminated by the artificial lights outside only to tremble. The other side of the bed was empty; the remnants of my nightmare still clung to my mind. I hold my hands over my mouth and release a frightened cry.

Anthony ensures me that he is safe, so why do I still get these nightmares? Why am I still afraid of him?

Perhaps, this is a reminder. A reminder not to get too comfortable.

After calming down, I decided to go for a short walk to settle the uproar inside my mind. I wrapped the sweater around my body and began my trail down the beach. I sat on the beach in a criss-cross motion as my eyes moved from sand to stone, from rock pools to calming waves.

"Can't sleep?" the haunting voice said.

I glance back to see Anthony standing there with a comfortable pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I nod, before turning back to the dark scenery in front of me. Anthony settles himself beside me. "It's dangerous to sneak off alone. Even with guards around, you may never know what will happen," his voice suggests he wasn't angry.

I settle my chin on my knees and continue to stare forward. Anthony didn't speak any further. There's an obvious insertion of space between us, indicating that Anthony understands that I need some distance from him.

"You know...I didn't choose this life."

Inhaling a deep breath. "We all didn't."

The silence only returns.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I really don't want to be afraid of you."

Anthony's head hung low while his tongue ran across his cheek. "It's in human nature to fear," I look at him, with my cheek still on my knees. "However, a head filled with fear and doubts hold no place to grow."

I chuckle lowly. "Is this your idea of comforting?"

"Comforting words can be quite lethal if brought during the wrong time."

Closing my eyes, I slowly scoot closer to him until my shoulder hit his. Resting my head on Anthony's shoulder, I listen to the light waves. "You sure know how to comfort a girl during her time of need," my voice is undoubtedly sarcastic.

Anthony rests his arm around my waist. "I presume understanding my wife's needs is part of my charms," he decides to go along with my witty words.

For the rest of our honeymoon, we would spend it at the beach or touring the islands. It wasn't over the top and simple just the way I like it.

I follow Anthony's lead as he takes me towards an unknown location. "Can I open my eyes?" I ask.

"Not yet mio cuore."

I laugh, feeling a bit frightened yet extremely excited about Anthony's special surprise. I feel a weird stair-like metal underneath my wedges. "Are we going on a helicopter?"

"I see what type of woman you are now."

"What type?" I ask, still with my eyes closed.

"You're a surprise spoiler. Open your eyes."

I open them to see myself resting inside a helicopter. I shrug "Sorry for ruining the surprise. I've been in one of these before, so -" I shrug.

His brows furrow, "Do you also-"

I smile proudly. "I also happened to know how to fly one." He tugs a brow, unable to believe my words. "Before mom's divorce, my hobby was to fly in helicopters. Then, I got really interested in it, and the pilot taught me a thing or two. I can fly this one if you allow me."