XXI. The Trap

They stare at us as we sit down beside each other, on the couch farthest away from them. We were all quiet, not uttering a single sound as the wind outside started picking up. There were cups of water in front of us, but I was too afraid to drink it, fearing they may poison it. But, let's be real if they want to kill us, they would have this past week.

"Someone say something! What is with this atmosphere?" Lily shouts, waving her hands around, attempting to blow away the heavy tension. Pietro let out a low snicker, biting his lower lips, as he gazes lovingly at Lily.

Anthony cleared his throat, "What you saw today at our wedding, I can explain," he said calmly. He clenches his hands together and leans forward.

I cross my legs, and fold my arms to show him I'm not afraid of him. Truthfully, I'm folding my arms because it's trembling and my legs because it was shaking a bit too much. "I would like to hear your reason for shooting a man."

Lily twisted her head towards me with a wide mouth then back at Anthony. "You what?"

Antonio cleared his throat, "That guy was going to hurt us, so Anthony had to eliminate him," he said as if it was a reasonable thing to do.

"He eliminates who?" Lily yells.

"Then, tell me why you casually have a gun in your pants?" I shout, feeling my body shaking with fear.

"He has what?!" Lily screamed. She backed away and clung to me. "Lily is caught up."

Pietro releases a deep breath and reaches for her, "Minnie Mouse."

She points a shaky finger at him, "Stop! Stop right there!" she yells, and he places his hands in the air indicating that he does intend to harm us.

"Min-"

"Don't call me that name!" she shouts. She buries her face into my shoulder, and I can feel her racing heart against my arm. "Oh God, they have guns. We are going to die," she mumbled.

"We aren't going to kill you," Antonio states.

"And how do we know that?" Lily replies.

They glanced at each other and then stood up. Lily and I start hugging each other, eyes enlarging more than usual when they each pull out their gun. "Don't kill me! I'm still a virgin!" I unexpectedly shouted.

I can see Anthony licked his lips, the edge of it curving into almost a smile, and threw his gun on the table. The rest of the guys did the same thing. I suppose they are trying to make us feel safe. 

Anthony sat down, and everyone followed. "We aren't going to hurt you, any of you."

"W-What do you want from us?" I squeak out.

He releases a deep breath," You. I told you many times. I want you."

"W-Why?" I ask, unable to stop my stuttering as I stare at the four guns on the table.

"Because I love you," he said. I can hear a round of awww around the room, which quickly stops when Anthony shoots them a devious glare.

"The contract is void," I announce, causing all of them to turn their attention towards me.

"What?" Anthony responds in a displeasing tone.

I stand up, and Lily follows. Her eyes avoided Pietro. "I said the contract is void. I did not sign up for this." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

He releases a dry chuckle and follows my actions, shoving his hands inside his sweats. "Okay, the contract is void," he said, taking a step towards me. Lily jumps behind me for coverage, and at that moment, I know that I can always depend on this girl to have my back.

Well, in her defense, she just found out the whole situation while I had a good hour or two to soak it all in. Even then, I am still terrified, and I wish I were Lily, who was able to pee earlier. Because, right now, I really want to piss in my pants.

Anthony leans towards me, a mischievous smirk on his lips. "But you're not going anywhere," he whispers.

"You can't force us to stay here!"

He tilts his head to the side, licking his lips once more. "I won't," he responds, causing my brows to furrow. "But, I am interested, just how exactly are you going to get back to America?"

"W-What do you mean?" I ask, glancing at Lily, who shrugs her shoulders.

Anthony snaps his finger, and Antonio walks into another room. He came back with a few documents, handing it to Anthony. He threw the papers down on the table. "From what I know, every single one of you withdraws your American citizenship in trade for an Italian one."

"Yes, but that would take two weeks to a year to be approved. Plus, Italian law states that a foreigner must live in Italy for ten years, and meet many other requirements to naturalize as an Italian citizen," I reply, remembering how I did some research about Italian citizenship.

"Think again," he responded.

Quickly, I grab the papers, seeing all our paperwork which was approved today. That's impossible. We went to the office two days ago. How can it be passed so quickly? Lily went on her knees and started flipping through one paper after another, throwing it all over the floor. "What the fuck?" she whispers.

I watch her as she scans every single piece, with shaky hands, she looks back up at me, her face as pale as a ghost. "These are all legal documents. We aren't American citizens anymore."

Anthony smirked, "It's amazing what power and money can do." 

I hate this world.

He takes a step towards me and leans down, "So, what exactly are you all going to do now?" 

Another step. 

"You're stuck in a country where you barely speak its native tongue."

I hate this world and how it's run.

"You both have no jobs." He inches closer. 

No money.

"You have four mouths upstairs to feed."

No power.

"The money you have hasn't transferred and even when you receive it. It can last you hmmm, roughly a month, maybe?"

Means you're nothing.

I hit a wall, and the document in my hand dropped down to the ground. "Tell me, my wife, just exactly what are you going to do now," he said, electrifying blue staring into mine. I can feel his alcoholic breath hitting my face as his chest slams against mine.

"W-W-Who are a-all of you?" 

"We are the Cosa Nostra or as the Americans would call us the Italian Mafia," he responds.

My brain barely understood what came out of his mouth.

I can feel the sweat drench my skin. The thumping of my heart against my chest was unbearable. My fingers were trembling. I can't hear my rapid breathing, but I can feel the oxygen flooding in and out of my lungs. Fear tortures my guts, churning my stomach, making me want to vomit, my mind unable to prepare for the next words exiting his lips.

"And I am their leader, and you, my wife, aren't going anywhere."