XXXVIII. Mouth of a Seducer

People often say I didn't look that different compared to when I was younger. Some slight adjustments would be that I grew taller, and the majority of my baby fat is gone. Granted, I did get tanner over the years, but that's mostly it.

I used to not think much about it, but now as I stand in the hallway in front of the man I dislike the most, I hate how I barely grew out of my youthful looks.

He recognizes me.

Steadily, I lifted my eyes until they met his filled with nothing but surprise. Taking a few blinks, I turn my head to see a young boy standing beside him, like a clone of how he looked like when he was younger.

My left eye twitches lightly as the air seems harder to breathe. The tight curling of my fingers only loosened when I felt a warm hand tracing on it. I glance over to see Anthony's usual emotionless face and the unresting stir inside of me calms.

The man glances over and clears his throat to capture his composure. His eyes saw our linked fingers before he tilted his head slightly. "Mr.Winston," his voice is the same. He looks the same, except with a few more wrinkles outlining his lavish features.

Anthony nodded out of common courtesy but didn't respond to his greetings.

"Dad!" Charlie's voice crashes into the atmosphere. "Look! Look! I found big sister! She isn't dead!" Those words crushed me harder than I thought, but I couldn't find the voice in me to respond. I notice how the woman holding him refuses to look me in the eyes, perhaps guilt.

My lips trembled - he told them I was dead?

Anthony noticed my failing resolution as I viciously glared at the man in front of me. "Pardon us, but we-"

"I'm sorry," I force the words to exit my lips, and Anthony stops speaking as my shaky hand tightens on his. "You must be mistaken, Charlie," I turn towards the little boy in the woman's arms. "I'm not your sister."

Charlie rests there and stares at me, then tilts his head. "But, the picture," his lower lip poured out as his head dropped.

I sigh, lip curling upward into what I presume is a smile, and lean forward. "My parents passed away, so how could your dad be mine?"

I didn't have to look at his face to know the pain - good, feel it.

Charlie frowned and was about to comment on the woman holding him step back from me. Her arms tighten around his small body like I'm a disease. "Apologies, Charlie can be quite out there sometimes." She forces a smile on her face and then glances at the man behind me for aid.

Now is the question - Will he openly declare me as the daughter of his ex-wife, or will he treat me as a stranger to savior his image?

Steadily, I turn around to meet with his startled eyes before smiling gently. I place out a hand. "Angelica Chisai," the boy beside him flinched slightly.

He swallows before grasping my hand gently as if I'm an out-of-this-world being. "Dextor Evans. A pleasure to meet you, Miss Chisai," he said in a clear business voice.

I admit it hurt more than I thought it would.

How a man who used to call me his little princess would treat me as a stranger.

Dextor removes his hand and turns towards Anthony. "I'm surprised you're present, Mr.Winston. From what I had heard, you don't seem to be the type to accept these gatherings," he smoothly changes the subject as his eyes drop towards our tangled hands once more.

Anthony removes his hand only to wrap it around my waist and pull me closer. He put on his mask and smiled, a distant one. "I'm here to show off my beautiful wife."