XLIII. No Tears

Everyone stops talking, with only the light sound of birds chirping taking its place.

"Nia!" the woman yells. "How can you say that to Mrs.Winston?"

"I don't care who she is; I don't want her here! It's my birthday, and she is ruining it!" 

Her mother's face turned red, "Nia!"

"You're nothing but a gold-digging bi-"

The woman slaps Nia's face. "Go to your room until you're ready to apologize to Mrs.Winston."

Nia places a hand on her cheek. "M-Mom! How can you do that to me? I'm helping you! She is obviously back here to-"

"Nia!" the woman shouts. "I will not repeat it. Go back-"

"No, go ahead," I said calmly. "What do you want to tell me, Nia?"

The woman's rotten tomato-colored lips curl down with displeasure. "I'm sorry, but I spoil he-"

"No," I didn't turn my head as my eyes dared towards Nia. "Tell me, Nia, what am I back here to do?" My voice is calm, but if someone were to listen very carefully, they could hear the mockery behind it.

Nia bit her lower lip. "Everyone knows-" 

Another slap in the face by her mother before she can finish her words. "Someone take her to her room until she learns how to respect others."

Two guards walk toward Nia and escort her to her bedroom. "Mom!"

The woman ignored her before walking towards me. "I'm sorry again for another one of my children's behaviors. They aren't normally like this." She grounds her teeth unsatisfied with my presence and her daughter's behavior.

I stay quiet while everyone looks at me. By now, they would expect me to half-heartedly accept her apology because it's merely within their nature to save face. Good thing I'm not the type who cares much about faces, and I've been insulted by enough people in my life. What's the difference with a few more?

"A child's actions are reflected by the parents' behaviors." My words cause her left eye to twitch slightly. It suddenly feels cold even with the bright sun looming above us as everyone diverts their eyes, pretending they did not witness the situation.

Before she could respond, I stood up, and a guard brought me my coat. He hangs it over my shoulders. "Pardon me, but I believe I'll take my leave. I don't want to stay any more than necessary."

To get to the exit, I had to go through the house. No one stopped me because they knew they couldn't. After all, I did get offended by the host's daughter.

I didn't really have any plans when I accepted the invitation. I merely want to know how I would feel when I step back into the place I once called home. After being here for barely an hour, I realized that I didn't have any feelings for this place. 

"Angelica!" a familiar voice calls. I turn around to see Charlie and his chubby cheeks bouncing towards me.

I smile faintly despite the arising dislike. I don't want to dislike Charlie since he seems to be a nice boy, but I can't help it. He is a mixture of two people I detest. "Hi Charlie," I said, wanting to leave the place as soon as possible.

I look up to see the young boy from the party behind him. He had the same face as his father, so I couldn't help but dislike him more than Charlie. He stands there in a long pair of grey jeans and a white top with sour eyes boring into mine.

"Angelica! Angelica! This is my big brother, Lucian." I dislike how Charlie speaks so familiar to me despite us being strangers.

I stare at Lucian, who still holds an expressionless face. He is better at hiding his emotions than anyone in this household. "Mrs.Winston," his tone sounds much more cracked than suspected, perhaps puberty.