45: Alcohol

The moment Hansel got out of his car, he saw a suave looking guy sitting on a bench under a post light. It was Ashton. He stared at the street with an unreadable expression while holding his lips. 

Hansel felt skeptical. He gazed at the mansion across Ashton, and there was no music nor sound of people. I thought it's a party, why is he outside?

Hansel walked towards Ashton. "Good evening."

Ashton raised his head in surprise. "P-president?"

"Mn."

Upon hearing that response, Ashton squinted. "Oh yes. I forgot to send you the notice the party is cancelled." After what happened, Ashton told Angeline everything and asked her and the others to leave. He also sent a group message to everyone else he invited... except... Hansel. 

Hansel asked plainly, "Why is the party cancelled?" Deep inside, Hansel was boiling up. This kid... he made me come here and then the party is cancelled?! He pressed his eyelids strongly against his under eyes and thought; This brat really had the guts to—! Hansel was irked. But he suppressed his anger before he could even curse because it would really be unsightly for someone like him to curse.

"She dumped me."

Hansel's anger was swept away like dried leaves during windy season. Even he was dumbfounded, "What?"

"She dumped me," Ashton repeated.

A gust of wind blew. Hansel felt his pores absorb the cold wind. It was rather a cold weather in Batangas this night.

Hansel sighed deeply. "What's done is done. It's just how the world works."

Hearing what Hansel said, Ashton looked up to him. "You... sound like you've been dumped before."

Hansel was completely caught off-guard. But he concealed his surprise with a formal tone, "Ehem... it happens to the best of us. Want to grab a drink?"

"Nope. I don't drink."

Hearing this sweet and innocent voice, Hansel remembered the first time he met this kid.

"Hi I'm Ashton Fritzo! 16! From First Year Class A! Please take care of me."

Ashton used to be a small kid when he was in first year, when he speaks, he speaks like a baby. Not in a stuttering or incoherent way, but rather in a high pitch and humble voice. 

"It would be better for you to train the small trainees, Hansel. Teach them how to steal the ball and sneak it away like you do," the coach urged. Those small trainees includes Ashton.

Ashton was smaller and used to be so miniscule than Hansel himself. But just after a year, Ashton's height plummeted to the skies. Today, he became as tall as Aeiou and Zed. Hansel could only wonder what Ashton did to grew abruptly fast. He would want to know and definitely try it too.

Nonetheless, when Hansel, Zed and Jake departed from the team, the news that Ashton became the new captain reached his ears quickly.

With a disappointed face, because it seemed he wouldn't be able to drink his heart out, Hansel shoved his fingers into his pockets. "Then I should leave."

"President." Ashton stood from the bench. 

Hansel stopped his gait, but as usual, he did not turn his head to Ashton. He asked, "Mn?"

"I'm deeply sorry for causing you the trouble." Regardless that Hansel had his back turned to him and won't be able to see it, Ashton bowed his head forty five degrees.

"Don't take it to heart. Just focus on yourself from now on. The right time for love will come." Just then, Hansel felt like he was talking to himself rather to Ashton. 

"President."

Hansel did not turn his back when he asked, "Mn?"

"President."

"President." Ashton continued

"Wha-"

"President. I just... I just... shattered."

Hearing those words, a bout of empathy lead Hansel to turn his head to Ashton. When he saw Ashton, the guy was crying. "What do you want us to do?"

"I don't know. I want to hug my mom but... I can't."

When Hansel heard those words, he presumed Ashton's mother was dead. "You can hug me instead."

Ashton raised his head in surprise. "Eh?"

"I'm your senior, I am obligated to take care of you. If you can't run to your family, you can run to me."

Like lightning, Ashton grabbed Hansel quickly and trapped the two of them inside an embrace.

The moment sank into silence. A cold gust of wind blew to their faces. Hansel closed his eyes as vicious air travel through the tip of his nose and exited out of his mouth. 

"President, can you tell me about how you get dumped? I need it."

Hearing this, Hansel breathed deeply and said, "The person that I'm currently in love with... is a liar and a con artist. He loves someone else."

Suddenly, Hansel's felt relief on his chest. It was as if a large boulder was removed from his shoulders. And he didn;t feel like drinking alcohol anymore. Was it because of the hug? Impossible. Hansel guessed it was because he had someone to talk to about his feelings right now, because at school he have no one to vent his feelings on.

Well, it seemed that alcohol was not the best thing to solve deep-seated issues, huh? Finding someone to talk to like this was just as effective. Hansel closed his eyes. A scent of maple fragrance waft against his nose. It was calming. It was probably Ashton's perfume.

A deep toneless voice sounded, "President?"

"Ng?"

"Are you gay?"