True Glory

Nathan Thorn
June 6, 1944
Normandy, France

Can you believe it, Arthur? It's June 6th, 1944. Wish you could see this brother. We're invadin' some frog beach I'm not even supposed to even know the name of. Also, we can take back France from the Nazis. But the waitin' has been half the battle so far.

Zussman: So he asked me for my watch, and I'm thinking; "What the hell do you want my watch for? You're the captain of the God-damned football team.".

I made some great friends back in basic and they're all on the boat with me. It's funny. Everyone knows that everybody's scared as hell but won't let it on.

I hated Zussman the first weak of basic, but now, he and Daniel's are probably the best friends I've got. I hated Daniel's the most considering the fucker played for Longview. And Zuss is always lookin' for trouble. If there weren't a war already, he'd be off tryin' to start one.

Stiles: Besides, I gotta keep all my fingers if I'm going to take photo of the year.

Stiles says he's gonna be a photographer for Life Magazine. Kinda looks like Clark Kent, 'cept when he takes off his glasses, the only thing that happens is that he can't see shit.

Aieillo's the vet, but to be tellin' the truth, he's what mama woulda called "a bit of a rube.".

Aiello: Ok. Let's make this more interesting.

Aiello slips off the pendant around his neck.

Aiello: Saint Michael. Patron Saint of Soldiers. He's had my back since Kasserine.

He drops it onto the pile of cards on the table.

Aiello: Zussman, three times in ten seconds, and he's all yours.

Zussman: I don't know.

Aiello: Oh, you can always puss out.

I smile, taking the knife from the table, flipping the handle end toward Zussman.

Nathan: My money's on Zuss.

Zussman: Alright, I'm in.

He takes the knife.

Stiles: I can't watch.

Zussman: Just time me when I tell you. Back to my story. Me and my boys, we muscle our way into this poker game that the football team has going. We worked out a system where they can signal to me everybody's hands.

I chuckle a bit.

Zussman: You guys shoulda seen the QB's face when I took that pot. You ready?

Stiles: Mhmm.

Zussman: That's what happens when you try to hustle a hustler. Now.

He brings the knife down and begins playing five finger fillet. He gets three times without messing up, in less than ten.

Zussman: You get flushed!

He throws the knife onto the table in celebration. Aiello stands up in disbelief. Zussman reaches for a handshake after snagging Ol' Saint Michael.

Aiello had enough fight in him for two men. And enough bigotry for six.

Aiello: Ma never said shake hands with a Jew.

Zussman: That's not what she said last night.

Aiello: Who needs a stupid pendant anyways.

Zussman: Apparently you did.

He says chuckling.

Aiello: I'm gonna get me something better. A real trophy. You'll see.

Nathan: Good luck with that.

I say, chuckling. Stiles quickly stands up.

Stiles: Oh, briefings at 18:00! We're going to be late!

He rushes out of the baracks with Aiello following behind. Daniel's and Zussman begin walking with me.

Zussman: I got us covered, boys, don't worry about it.

We turn to the exit.

Pierson: Briefings about to start, what hell you boys doin'?

Then there's Sergeant Pierson. A real fucking sweetheart.

Pierson: Oh, you think you're special, huh? The Krauts are gonna eat your lunch.

Nathan: Certainly not my lunch, Sergeant. Mines squared right away.

Pierson: Watch your lip, Thorn. On me.

The Sergeant walks away and I turn back to Daniel's and Zussman, laughing a little.

Nathan: Guess we're on a lucky streak.

Zussman: Whatever happens, stay close. First Normandy, then the Rhine.

We shake hands for a moment.

Zussman: We've got this, boys.

—————

Davis: Today, with our Allies we embark on an operation of unparalleled importance. To establish a beach head at Normandy and roll back the German aggression that has terrorized Europe for the last five years.

The massive cannons on the ships fire on the beaches as our boys fly over the Krauts, giving them hell.

Davis: We are all that separates the world from darkness. This is so much more than a chance at being heros in our own lifetimes. If we prevail, our triumph will be etched into the hearts and minds of a grateful world for until generations. I'm talking about glory, gentleman. True glory.

Colonel Davis sure can give a nice speech. Kind of reminds me of that speech Coach Dennis gave us on that Friday night game versus Longview. I'm sure you remember we lost the game by three points.

The landing craft is having a rough time getting to the beaches. We're still a few hundred yards out.

Always lookin' over Pierson's shoulder is Lieutenant Turner. He's got him on a tight leash. But if Pierson breaks free.. we'll all get bit.

Ever since I could hold a rifle, I wanted to be just like you, Arthur. You've always been a tough act to follow. But I'm damn sure gonna try.

It's now or never...