The Rhine

Nathan Thorn
March 7, 1945
Ramegan, Germany

With the 9th Armored and the 99th, our mission is to take the bridge at Remagen. We get across, the last German resistance will crumble.

If Zussman's alive, he's across that bridge. We just got to take it first.

I look from the back of the truck to see the bridge coming closer into view.

Pierson: All right, there she is. The last bridge over the Rhine.

Daniels: We get this convoy across, we're the the heartland. We'll bust'em open.

Aiello: All right look, it's all or nothing. It's all been leading to this.

MG fire cuts us off a it rips through the truck.

Pierson: Hold tight!

We duck but a few of our boys in the truck get hit and killed. A rocket hits right in front of our truck, causing the driver to swerve to a stop.

Pierson: All right. On me! Come on!

We climb over the edge and into the crater the rocket made.

Pierson: We gotta secure the bridge entrance!

Nathan: Yes, Sergeant! Come on!

The others start moving forward and I'm about to as well but Pierson grabs my arm.

Pierson: Hey! Don't make me regret givin' you a second chance.

I smirk.

Nathan: You know I won't. Let's move!

We push forward and get behind cover.

Pierson: The convoy will provide cover while we push to the bridge. Let's move!

I take a few shots at the large tower on the bridge. I see snipers on the roof. Me and the others keep pushing hard, killing any Kraut that tries to stop us.

Pierson: Push into the tower! We need to clear those MG's!

We approach the tower doors. Our flamethrower operator kicks open the doors and spews fire all over the Krauts on the bottom floor. Within a few moments, they all lay dead.

Pierson: Nathan, Daniels! Secure the upper floors!

I dash inside an up the staircase. Before popping up I toss a grenade into the room. A few moments later and it goes off and screams fill the room. I run up, killing the wounded Krauts. I dash for the third floor but no one's there. They all must be at the top floor.

Me and Daniels clear the top floor and rally back down stairs.

Pierson: The Krauts are gonna blow the bridge. We gotta stop them. Stiles, what do you got?

Stiles: They're rolling out everything.

Howard: Just buy us sometime. We'll handle the charges.

Pierson: All right, I'll lead the way while Nathan and Daniels cover the engineers. Ready? Com on, let's go.

He opens up the door and we exit the tower.

Howard: You two, defuse the charges belowth main structure.

Howard shouts to two men on the bridge while we push up the sides.

Pierson: Krauts are falling back! Stay low and keep sharp.

We move forward and find some Krauts getting ready to leave but they don't even know we're here. How could they be so stupid?

Pierson: On your shot, Nathan.

I fire on the Krauts, signaling the others to start shooting. The Germans start falling back and we give chase. But we stop and watch as the end of the bridge starts exploding.

Nathan: They're blowing the bridge!

The explosives under the bridge go of up ahead causing the entire structure to shake. Dust shoots everywhere, blocking our vision and my ears ring from the explosions.

Pierson: Who's down? Who's still with me?

Howard: The bridge held. The damn thing held..

Stiles: Their own men were still on it.

Aiello: Dumb bastards.

Pierson: Get up. Keep moving. We still got a job to do.

We all get up an start running.

Howard: Listen..

I hear something coming from the air.

Nathan: Shit! Stukas!

Daniels: They're tryin' to blowthe bridge!

The German planes swoop down, dropping bombs on the already fragile bridge. We start pushing forward, taking out several Krauts. The squad and I keep moving forward to the end of the bridge. We push up the tower, taking it. We rally on Pierson downstairs.

Pierson: Those planes are gonna take out the bridge. We need to capture those AA guns. On me!

He pushes open the door to be met with heavy German resistance. We lay down fire on them.

Pierson: Get to those trenches!

I dive for the trenches to the AA gun. I push in, mowing down any Kraut I see. We push to the AA gun, killing it's operator. I climb on and stet firing on the German Stukas.

Daniels: Protect the bridge!

Nathan: What does it look like I'm doin'?!

I take down several planes as they seem utterly confused. They soon turn their direction onto me and fire, almost hitting me. I take Stuka after Stuka.

Suddenly, different planes swoop in, taking out the rest of the enemy planes.

Daniels: All right!

Aiello: Our flyboys are here!

The men cheer for a bit.

Pierson: We're not done yet! Let's move!

We push forward. The Germans are utterly hopeless as they keep fighting. Or at least try to. They keep falling to our guns.

Stiles: They're on the run!

Pierson: They're backing into the tunnel! Move! Move! Move!

Our Sherman tanks roll across the bridge and position themselves at the end of the tunnel. Everybody fires into the tunnel, which soon becomes a cloud of smoke.

Aiello: Enemy spotted! They're coming out!

Pierson: Everyone stand down! Stand down!

The remaining Krauts come out with their hands raised in the air in defeat.

Pierson: It's over...it's over...

---------

I walk over to Howard and he looks at me.

Howard: The bridge is ours.

Aiello: Corporal Howard.

We both turn to see Aiello approaching Howard.

Aiello: I believe I owe you an apology.

He holds his hand out for a handshake and Howard chuckles.

Howard: You owe me a helluva lot more than that.

They shake hands, the hatchet now being buried.

Howard: We just made history, fellas. First across the Rhine.

Howard walks away and Pierson comes up to us.

Pierson: There are reports of POW camps in the area. Davis has ordered us to wait for authorization before conducting a sweep.

He looks around for a moment and then back to me.

Pierson: But I guess you know what to do with Davis's orders.

Nathan: Copy that, Sergeant.

I chuckle.