The Life That Could Be

Corporal Nathan Thorn
March 3, 1945
42nd Field Hospital, Ardennes Forest

Eight weeks. Eight weeks and still nothing. They haven't found Zussman. Everything is so wrong. He's gone and I couldn't save him. Nothing seem right.

For almost three weeks, I didn't have the guts or the nerve to write to Vivian. Nor even open any from her. I finally did and I told her what happened. From what I can tell, she's devasted by what's happened to me.

Aren't we all.

I was so close to saving him. So close to saving my brother and I failed. Eight weeks of Zussman being in German captivity and from the stories I've heard, it doesn't sound nice. But I'm trying not to lose hope.

I open my eyes to find myself still laying on the medical cot. It's far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground but despite that, I can't sleep for shit.

I look at the tent flap opening and sit up a bit. Colonel Davis walks up to my cot and takes a seat on a stool.

Nathan: Sir, please tell me they found Zussman?

Davis: I wish I could, son.

Nathan: Pierson didn't give a damn about him. Just like my brother and his men at Kasserine.

Davis: Kasserine? You got it all wrong, Corporal.

He sighs.

Davis: Pierson was ordered to retreat, but your brother and a few of his men were trapped in the pass. He couldn't bring himself to fall back without them... But he just ended up losing more trying to save them. He's never been the same.

Now I hear the true story of what went down. God, I just wish mama and pa were able to know before they passed.

Davis: But you don't need to worry about Pierson. You're headed stateside.

Nathan: Am I looking at a court-martial, sir?

Davis: Well, it wouldn't reflect to good on the army for punishing the soldier who accelerated the whole damn war effort.

I look at him confused.

Davis: That's right. The intelligence you found on that prisoner was critical in locating the last bridge across the Rhine.

He smiles as he stand up.

Davis: Might even be a Bronze Star in your future.

He starts to walk away but turns back to look me in the eye.

Davis: You're a bonafide hero.

And with that, Colonel Davis exits the medical tent. I look down at Zuss's pendent. I hope to God, Ol' Saint Michael is watching over him.

-----------
Two weeks later
London, England

I step out of the car, wearing dress uniform. I see Vivian's eyes light up as she rushes to me. She leaps forward and crashes into my chest, crying. I feel tears slip down my cheeks as well. She pulls back and holds me, with a look that asks if I'm even real.

Vivian: From this moment on, I am not letting you out of my sight. Do you understand me, cowboy?

Nathan: Yes ma'am.

I grin as our lips connect.

...

I watch the little girl sleep soundly in her bed. My daughter. I look out the window and into the snow, remembering him. Remembering how I turned tail and ran.

...

We're hunting. Or at least walking around the woods up in Scotland. I managed to convince Arthur to actually come join me here for a little while.

I aim my rifle, hesitating to even pull the trigger as my mind lingers on him.

Arthur: You all right there, little brother?

Nathan: Are we gonna talk or are we gonna hunt?

He knows what I'm thinking. He always knew. No matter the situation he always knew.

Arthur: You should be proud. You ruled your fear, and held your own. Can't ask anything more of a man.

I sigh, lowering my rifle a bit, still lost in my thoughts.

Arthur: It's the best feeling in the world, right? Facing down hell and comin' home a bonafide hero.

I look at him and the to the ground. I left him.

Arthur: Little brother.

...

Arthur: Nathan?

...

Davis: You're a bonafide hero.

...

Zussman: To the end?

I open my eyes and look at the pendant and clutch it tightly.

Nathan: To the end.