Operation Cobra

Nathan Thorn
July 25, 1944
Near Marigny, France

Nothing feels the same. Everything still feels wrong after what happened almost two months ago. Even drawing the Texas Longhorns on my helmet, underneath the netting doesn't feel the same. Nothing does.

But besides that, me and the fellas, I'd say we're doin' pretty good. Not good enough for Pierson...but nothin' is for that bastard. Maybe I'll get home by Christmas with a bronze or silver star on my chest. Not there's anything to go home to.

Daddy has finally passed from the Black Lung. Mama passed soon after. The ranch was repossessed by the great state of Texas. Looking at the bigger picture, I have nothing.

Aiello: Schmeling versus LaMotta?

Stiles: Shcmeling would've a KO'd LaMotta.

Daniels: No way. And Shcmeling's a Nazi. I'd shoot him in a heartbeat.

Aiello: They made him their poster boy. That guy didn't have a choice.

Nathan: We all got a choice.

Stiles: You know, Neitzsche said that there was only strong-

Aiello: Ah, that's enough with the mouth. All right what about Louis versus Sugar Ray Robinson?

Zussman: If we're talkin' 1938 Louis, Robinson wins hands down.

We all turn to see Zussman approach. It's great seeing him standing after what happened.

Aiello: Ah, look who decided come back for more.

Daniels gives him a hug.

Nathan: Look at this. Try to get him out of the fucking war and he comes straight back.

We all laugh.

Zussman: I heard some tough SOB's were gonna be taking Marigny.

Aiello: Well, playbooks working. At this rate, we'll be home by Christmas. Don't just stand there, let's see it.

Zussman steps back and lifts up his shirt and jacket, showing the huge, nasty scar from the blade.

Zussman: Not bad, eh?

Aiello: Eh, I've seen worse.

Turner: Glad to have you back, Private.

Zussman: Good to be back, sir.

Turner: All right, fellas. We've got a unique opportunity here. This is our chance to break out of Normandy. It won't be easy. The hedgerows are heavily defended and we got reports of Kraut armor in the area. But if we can hold and secure Marigny, we own the roadways. And if Zussman can take a knife to the gut and come out swinging, I like our odds just fine.

Zussman: Always bet on a winner, sir.

We all smile. Our fly boys roar overhead and we move out.

For Turner, shielding us was his noble callin'. But war just has that habit of getting in the way.

Turner: Alright First Platoon. We're rolling out! Let's go!

I approach the tank and I see Zussman and Daniels talking. I move to say something but Pierson comes up.

Pierson: Hey. You know a wound like that takes eight weeks to heal?

Zussman: I'm ready, Sergeant. You've got my word.

Pierson: Oh your word, huh? That don't mean shit to me.

He taps Zussman hard on his chest and Zuss tries not to flinch or show pain.