Crazy Ain't The Half Of It

Nathan Thorn

I've been discharged. That's the least of my worries. The Krauts captured Zussman and I couldn't save him. But I ain't giving up on him. No now, not ever. Even if I got a ticket home, that life wouldn't be worth a damn thing.

----------
Nathan Thorn
March 6, 1945
Near Ramagen

I storm through the camp, making my way through without stopping for anyone. Several people look at me but I ignore them. I make it just outside Pierson's tent only to be stopped by Aiello.

Aiello: Whoa, whoa, whoa. What are you doing here?

Nathan: What's it fuckin' look like to you?

Aiello: Suicide.

Daniels and Stiles come up.

Daniels: Nathan, I wouldn't go in there.

Stiles: Pierson's been hitting the sauce.

Nathan: Thanks for the heads up. Now get the fuck out of my way.

I say, sick of talking. I push past them open up the tent flap, immediately smelling the booze. I walk in to see Pierson sitting down, clutching a bottle.

He looks up at me and scoffs.

Pierson: You gotta be fuckin' kidding me.

Nathan: I'm not giving up on Zussman.

Pierson: Tell it to the Chaplin, 'cause I got no room for a second who can't follow orders.

He takes a swig of his liquor and I take another step.

Nathan: You weren't following orders when you refused to abandon my brother and those  other men at Kasserine.

He looks up at me in shock as he sets his bottle down. He looks to be in disbelief as he stands up, stumbling slightly.

Pierson: What did you just say to me?

Nathan: You heard me.

Pierson: You better leave while you can still walk.

He points to the exit.

Nathan: Davis told me everything. It wasn't your fault. You were only trying to do right by your platoon.

He punches me in the face, hard. The force of which make me fall back, leaning against the tents pillar.

Pierson: Get out. Get out!

Nathan: I'm not going anywhere.

Pierson: I said get out!

He shouts, lunging for another punch but I dodge the strike and his fist impacts the wood pillar, hard. Pierson holds his hand in pain.

Pierson: Goddamnit!

He slumps onto a chair, still holding his hand.

Pierson: My orders were to fall back. But I just couldn't leave them. I told my men we're gonna hold this pass until reinforcements got here but... They never came.

He says, voice breaking through parts of it. He looks back at me.

Pierson: They never came. So I guess you're right. I did get my men killed. Now go.

Nathan: Not without my platoon.

Pierson: Oh, you think you have some guts, don't ya? Try gettin' the job done day in and day out while your men are dying all around you.

He turns to leave.

Nathan: Turner would've never given up like this!

He while around, grabbing my collar of my shirt.

Pierson: Turner is dead!

Nathan: Then make that mean something! "No sacrifice too great"!

Pierson: You don't know anything about sacrifice!

I pull out of honorable discharge papers.

Nathan: How about this, huh?!

He grabs the paper, looking utterly confused.

Nathan: Honorable discharge papers, signed by Davis... My ticket out of this fucking war.

I grab the paper.

Nathan: I could've had everything. A heros welcome. My love in my arms. Hell, even a Bronze Star.

I hold my breath as I rip the paper to shreds and his eyes widen.

Nathan: But I got one last mission!

Pierson: You just be crazy.

He says in disbelief.

Nathan: Crazy ain't the half of it.

He looks down for a few moments until lookin back up at me.

Pierson: All right, fall in.

Nathan: Sergeant.

Pierson: I said fall in, Goddamnit.

The others come into the tent.

Pierson: If you want in, now's your chance. Get the fuck out of my way.

He pushes past Daniels and the others.

Stiles: Well, I guess the gang's all here.

Daniel: Not all of us.

Nathan: Let's take the bridge and find our boy.

Aiello: Yes, Corporal.

---------