Letters #5

Ardennes Forest, Belgium 12/26/44

Dear Vivian,

Just got attacked yesterday from the Krauts. Fuckers threw everything they had. Their last Hail Mary attempt. I don't think the Germans will last much longer. But can you believe they attacked on Christmas? Who would do that? The Germans is the answer.

And in not so new of news, Pierson lost his mind, called in an airstrike on top of us. And he'll probably get a medal for it. These last six weeks has been dark. Pierson's in a dark place and I feel myself getting dragged down in it.

But I gotta stay sharp if I'm gonna come back to you. I watched as tons of our boys got killed yesterday. And every time I thank God that it wasn't me and that it was someone else who bit the bullet, or artillery shell.

Is that a screwed up thing to think? I don't even know anymore. Our moral compasses are pretty much haywire at this point. Pierson doesn't even have a damn compass anymore. Not to say he had one to begin with.

Anyways, still pissing icecubes here in Belgium. Nothin new. I finally cracked open that bottle of red wine on Christmas Eve. Can you believe I managed to save it for this long? Me neither. It brought back those memories of Paris. Not that I had to think that long on it to remember them.

I don't know when this letter will reach you. Pierson's been stingy on a lot of things, mail call included. I just hope you know my thoughts are always on you, Viv. You and Paris.

We'll go back there some day.

Yours always,

Nate Thorn