Letters #3

Hürtgen Forest, Germany                        11/16/44

Dear Vivian,

     He's gone. Turner's dead. Our protector, our savior, our torch that keeps away the wolves is gone.

Pierson decided to assault the Hill 493 without us. We met up with him close to halfway up. We took out the guns but we lost so many. Christ, so many died.

The Krauts rolled in a fucking Tiger tank. We had almost nothing to use against it except thermite, which meant we had to get close. And guess who had that fucking job?

I got two thermite on the tank and destroyed it partway. Perez, a tank operator, came with his tank and shot it, destroying he tank chain but the Tiger still wasn't done. It fired on Perez, destroying his tank but he managed to get out. Turner came and rescued me from two Krauts that were gunning for me. He turned his back for a moment and that's all it took.

The Tiger's tank operator came out and shot Turner right in the gut and he fell on me. I managed to kill the Kraut but reinforcements were coming and we had to pull back.

I couldn't leave him but the others pulled me back.

"No sacrifice too great."

That's our fucking moto. Those were his words when he was telling us to run.

Zussman and the others had to pull me away as Turner made his final stand, finally falling dead. He fell into the mud and was left there like he was nothing. Like none of the shit we went through mattered.

God, Viv, I'm fucking breaking. Lieutenant Turner was everything to the platoon and now he's gone.

"We're in a whole new world now, Thorn. My world."

That's Pierson talkin'. Now he's in charge. A rabid dog who's leash just got dropped. There's a darkness in his eyes that no fire in hell can brighten.

Oh, am now I'm the devil's second.

Yup, that's right. Corporal. Corporal Nathan J. Thorn. Funny how my middle name is Joseph, like Joseph Turner...

God, I'm not gonna make it, Viv. I don't see how I can make it with Pierson now leading us. Fucking Christ, now I'm rambling and writing it all down.

Nobody's said a word to each other after what happened. What even is there to say?

I'm scared Vivian. I'm cold and I'm scared. I miss you like hell. Fuck, I wish we were back in Paris. Some champagne to get drunk on sound great. Colonel Davis hasn't accepted my requisition for booze. I wonder why?

I'll come back to you, Vivian. I just don't know how it when, but I'll be damned if I don't come back to you. I'll see you in Paris, or London, doesn't matter to me. As long as I can see you again. The photos of us just aren't cuttin' it at the moment.

You'll get your cowboy back. I promise.

Yours always,

Nate Thorn