No Sacrifice Too Great

Nathan Thorn
November 14, 1944
Hürtgen Forest, Germany

We're still waitin' on Pierson. There's no tellin' what he'll do but his record ain't exactly stellar. If you were here, Arthur, I know you'd set him straight. I just hope Zussman and the others can hold out 'till we hit those guns together.

Stiles: Dog one outrider this is dog one six, do you read me over? Any and all receiving units, this is Dagwood white dog one six requesting a common check. Can you read me, over?

I glance at Stiles and then to Turner.

Nathan: If you don't mind my sayin' sir, but maybe we should head to the assembly point.

Turner: Not yet. Pierson'll get here.

I've had enough. I gotta ask.

Nathan: Sir.

I jog up beside Turner.

Nathan: Is it true? About Pierson getting my broth...those men killed at the Kasserine Pass?

Turner: One day Nathan when you're leading your own platoon, you'll find out there's usually two options. Bad and worse. But you focus on your men because that's what'll get you through.

Nathan: Tell that to Pierson.

Turner: Sergeant Pierson.....  You just pray you're never in that position.

Stiles: Lieutenant!

We turn to see Stiles jogging over to us.

Stiles: Just got a transmission from Baker. They're gonna assault Hill 493. Pierson's with 'em.

Turner: What?

Stiles: He took our guys and second platoon.

Turner: Gear up! Let's move!

We start moving to the assembly point. That crazy bastard Pierson, he's gonna get them killed.

---------

Turner: Keep up! Let's go, let's go!

Nathan: Maybe Pierson's still at the base of the hill!

Stiles: I'm guessing we're way past that!

Turner: keep moving. Goddamnit!

I slip on the mud ground. I hear gunfire up ahead. Just gotta get up this fucking hill.

Stiles: Sounds like our guys!

We get to a even space and see Aiello clutching his leg, sitting next to a log.

Aiello: NATHAN.

Nathan: You all right?

Aiello: Yeah, I'm all right.

We kneel beside him.

Turner: Where's the rest?!

Aiello: Pierson took 'em to attack the guns. We begged for reinforcements.

Turner: That stubborn son of a bitch!

We stand up.

Nathan: We'll come back for you.

Turner: Hurry! They need us.

I toss my Kraut shotgun, opting to pick up a BAR that leaning against a crate. I look back at Aiello to make sure its not his. His is right beside him.

I grab as much ammo for it as I can carry and follow Turner.

Turner: There's no way around! We have to move up this hill! Stay low and advance!