Omaha Beach

Nathan Thorn
June 6, 1944
Omaha Beach, Normandy, France

It's now or never...

I right into my journal, possibly for the last time.

Zussman: Hey. You got anybody to go home to, Nathan?

Nathan: Nah. But Red's got someone worth checkin' out.

I grin and Daniel's punches me shoulder.

Daniel's: Just wait till we hit Paris.

Zussman: Seems like a long way off.

Turner: Remember. No diggin' in at the shore. You gotta advance. You need to stay low and do not much up. You stick to your training you're gonna make it through. I'm proud to lead you fellas into battle. Anytime. Anywhere.

The bombardment of the beach rings in my ears as massive bombers fly overhead.

Aiello: Alright, give 'em hell, boys!

Zussman: The beaches are supposed to be flattened, right?

Pierson: You sound scared, Private.

Zussman: No, sir.

Pierson: You should be.

Soldier: Hey, Thorn, you got a light?

Nathan: Sure thing, bud.

I flick my zippo, sparking it up and holding it to him as he tries to light a cigarette. A bullet wizzes overhead of us and I immediately drop down.

Turner: EVERYBODY DOWN!

It's almost total chaos now as hails of gunfire rain down on the landing craft, explosions going off everywhere it seems.

Soldier: 500 yards! We're gonna have to pull off!

Turner: No! We stay on mission. You're taking us in.

Soldier: We must've drifted. I can't see the land marks!

Pierson: You heard the lieutenant, you're taking us in. Full speed!

Soldier: Incoming!

Am explosion goes off almost directly beside our landing craft, rattling me around on the ground.

Soldier: 200 yards! Twenty seconds!

Turner: Same plan! Get to the seawall!

Pierson: Kopelson! James! Get the bangalore to the wire, fast! Everybody ready! Here we go!

Turner: Drop the ramp!

My heart is pounding wildly in my chest. I can barely breathe.

Soldier: There's no cover!

Pierson: That was an order, Goddamnit! Drop it!

Before I can process any more, another landing craft rams right in the side of ours, completely knocking me off my feet as I lay on the floor is the land craft. The ramp drops and in less than a second, half a dozen men then I knew were mowed down by machine gun fire.

Heads and other body parts go flying as I get completely covered in their blood. My eyes widen in shock and I can't move.

Turner: OVER THE SIDES!

I shove a corpse off of me and weakly throw myself over the side of the landing craft. Immediately, water clouds my vision as I finally resurface and Turner grabs me.

Turner: Get your head down and keep moving!

He shouts over the screams and gunfire.

Turner: Daniel's! Thorn! On me!