A Little Girl Named Anna

Nathan Thorn
October 18, 1944
Acchen, Germany

Zussman: Sir, you better come see this.

I turn to face him and Pierson moves back a curtain, revealing several civilians behind it.

Pierson: Ahh, just perfect.

Turner: Shit.

He thinks for a moment.

Turner: We passed that truck a few hundred yards back. We can drive it here and get 'em all out.

Pierson: With all due respect, our mission was to secure this hotel.

???: Bitte, musst du uns helfen. Bitte!
(Please, you must help us. Please!)

She says in a rushing voice and Pierson just sits back.

Pierson: I don't speak Kraut.

Nathan: Ich spreche ein wenig Deutsch. Es wird gut werden.
(I speak a little German. It'll be okay.)

I say and everyone looks at me in shock. Pierson stands up in shock and a disapproving look on his face.

Pierson: You speak German? When the hell were you gonna tell us that?

Nathan: Of course I can speak it. Why else do you think they needed me for the mission in Paris?

Turner: Enough. We're going to get these people out of here. Daniels, Aiello, you take that truck and rendezvous with us on the West side of the hotel. Get moving.

Pierson walks past me, shoving my shoulder a bit.

Pierson: Makes me wonder what else you've been hiding from us, Herr Thorn.

Nathan: Cut me some slack, sergeant.

Pierson: Not on your life, Private. Not on your life.

Turner: Stop it. Nathan, you stay with the civilians since you can communicate with them. Tell them that we need to move them to the West side of the hotel.

Nathan: On it.

I turn to the civilians and they all look at me.

Nathan: Alles klar, wir müssen auf die Westseite des Hotels umziehen damit wir dich sicher hier rausbringen können.
(Alright everyone, we need to move to the West side of the hotel so we can get you out of here safely.

Some of them nod and the little girl moves up close to me.

Anna: Kann ich diese Schokolade haben?
(Can I have that chocolate?)

Erica: Anna!

I smile.

Nathan: es ist in Ordnung, Fräulein.

I take the Hershey bar and hand it to the little girl and she giggles happily. The older woman, who I presume to be her sister, smiles gratefully.

Pierson: Alright, funs over. Let's move!

I sigh, standing back up.

Nathan: Ok alle, lasst uns bewegen!
(Okay everyone, let's move.)

We start to move the civilians to the lobby and we move to the West side. Daniels and Aiello drive up with the truck.

Pierson: Drive through and park it on the street!

Aiello: Yes, sergeant!

Nathan: All right, get the civilians out of here!

They move slowly towards the truck with us trying to get them to hurry along.

Aiello: Sir, we gotta move! Reinforcements are on the way!