The Road To Paris

Vivian Harris
August 21, 1944

It's been a day since Nathan and I wrecked that Panzezug. He and his platoon were not to keen on rummaging through the wreckage for those papers but they did it anyways. Begrudgingly.

It's been a day since the first time I met Nathan and my feelings are already undeniable. He's really quite something. There's a darkness in the bright parts of his eyes. He speaks almost perfect German and I saw him horsing around with a man named Aiello and another, Stiles, and he seems to be good a making impersonations. Especially of Colonel Davis and Sergeant Pierson.

I think he will be good for the mission. Crowley on the other hand does not.

Crowley: Really? You really want him on the mission?

Vivian: I don't see why it wouldn't work. He's perfect for the mission.

Rousseau: That is my mission, not his.

She spits angrily.

Vivian: I know that, but, Heinrich will recognize you. And if he does so and you can't subdue him, the whole mission can go awry.

Rousseau: It won't. I'll be damned if I don't do this.

I see Crowley think for a moment.

Crowley: How good is his German?

Vivian: Quite good from how much I've heard him speak.

Rousseau scoffs.

Vivian: Plus, we found those other papers on the German officer. Those two were both sent with the travel documents. It could work.

Rousseau: You just want your little American pet not to stray far from it's leash.

She says and I scoff.

Crowley: Enough. Both of you. Let's bring the private in and see if he's up for this. And if he is, then we catch him up on the finer details.

Rousseau: Go get him.

She says to me and I leave to go grab Nathan. I see him talking with some of his friends he mentioned. Zussman and Daniels. Nate's back is turned to me but Daniels spots me and taps Nate's shoulder and he turns toward me.

Nathan: 'Scuse me, boys.

He walks away from them and to me.

Nathan: What is it?

-------------

Nathan: You want me to put on a fucking Kraut uniform, waltz in there and plant explosives?

He says, sounding not the least bit pleased.

Vivian: The mission was intended for Rousseau, but I think she will be noticed by Heinrich as soon as he sees her.

Nathan: So just avoid him.

Crowley: It's not that simple. Heinrich's office is a shortcut. You would need to use it to get around checkpoints.

Nate sighs and he looks to Rousseau.

Nathan: And what do you think about this?

Rousseau: Je pense que tu vas gâcher toute l'opération.
(I think that you will mess up the whole operation.)

Nathan: Merci pour le vote de confiance.
(Thanks for the vote of confidence.)

I step back slightly, surprised he can speak French as well. Rousseau is also surprised at this.

Rousseau: Vous pouvez parler français?
(You can speak French?)

Nathan: When your country surrendered, I figured it would be a dying language pretty soon.

Rousseau: Bâtard!
(Bastard!)

Crowley: Enough!

He turns to Nathan.

Crowley: Do you want in on the operation or not?

It's silent for a few moments as he looks me in the eyes. He stares for a few moments until he nods.

Nathan: Yeah. Sure. Count me in.

And with that, he leaves us.