Stronghold

Nathan Thorn
Early morning, July 26, 1944
Marigny, France

Arthur: Nate! Take the shot!

My eyes snap open, expecting to see that very same wolf right infront of me. But it isn't. And neither is Arthur. I look around the room, not seeing anybody else but me. Zussman and Daniels are still out on LP on the other side of the building. Which means I get the first bit of sleep I have been able to get in a long while.

Well..if you even call it sleep.

The nightmares keep me up almost every other night. The wolves were killin' our cattle. Arthur and I went out to go hunt 'em when we got cornered by one.

I still remember seeing Arthur's eyes as he almost begged me to shoot the monster that was busy ripping his arm with it's teeth.

I remember dropping the damn bullet. I was scared. I panicked and because of that, I wasn't able to kill the wolf. Arthur did. He made it..only to die in a different country that wasn't his home.

From that day on, I swore I would never let Arthur down again. But now, it's not just him I gotta live up to. It's Pierson.

-------
Nathan Thorn
July 26, 1944
Marigny, France

Pierson: Get to cover!

We take cover behind a wall.

Pierson: Turner will lead the maneuver element into the square! Our job is to lay down suppressive from that church! Any questions? Good!

He says before any of us could even ask.

Stiles: I have a question.

Pierson: Save 'em up, Stiles, you'll win a gold star. Let's go!

Stiles: I think I'm his favorite.

He says, leaving cover. I join them as well move from position to position, taking out Germans.

Pierson: I need covering fire on the left, everyone else flank right!

My Thompson submachine gun spits out lead and Krauts fall to the ground, dead. We push into a destroyed house, it's former occupants only God knows where. Now Krauts lay dormant.

I mow down several Krauts and my gun clicks, signaling I'm out. I quickly flip the magazine to the extra one I tapped to it. A genius idea I had.

We clear he house and move to the back side it.

Pierson: Kraut Jeeps, inbound!

We quickly fire on the incoming Krauts, taking them out. Just then, we hear the noise of a loud engine and it's coming closer.

Zussman: You hear that?

Pierson: HALFTRACK!

Nathan: Fuck! Find cover and get down!

I shout as the mounted machine gun begins firing on us, hitting two of our guys. I see another guy, Taylor, get hit but he's not dead.

Taylor: HELP! HELP ME!

He shouts out. He's out of cover and there's Krauts close to his position. Despite that, k dive out, quickly grabbing him by his jacket collar and strap him behind the small stone wall.

Taylor: Thank you! Thank you! I thought I was a goner.

Nathan: Just keep your head down!

I say, firing on more Krauts. We take out the Germans by the Half-track but there are still more.

Pierson: Thorn! Use that MG!

Nathan: On it!

I climb onto the Half-track, taking the MG-42 in my grip. I start dumping lead on the Kraut bastards as they all fall to the ground. Dead.