Chapter Fourteen - Backfire

C O R R I N E

"Hey mom!" I sung happily as I walked over and wrapped my arms around her tightly. She smiled warmly pulling me into her, she looked weaker than before and more frail which scared me. Never in a million years did I ever think I'd be in a place like this visiting my mom, it hurt bad.

"How's Kareem?" She questioned and I made a face growing embarrassed. Sitting in bed with her I remained quiet not knowing what to say.

"Things are good, he's actually here along with a friend of ours named Dante but they're at the vending machine getting food" I laughed and she pursed her lips together.

"Did you tell him about your problem?" She asked and I got quiet shaking my head no. She sighed and pushed my hair out of my face.

"it's not something that I want to tell people, and it hurts to much to talk about" I said biting my lip and she remained quiet briefly.

"An eating disorder is nothing to be scared of Corrine. You're better now and that's all that matters" she said casually pushing my hair behind my ear.

"Yeah but once people find out it's different. Every time I hang out with Kennedy we always get food or Isis will make me stand on a scale. He makes me feel good because he isn't worried about trying to make me better he thinks I'm already perfect" I sighed hearing a knock.

Turning around Kareem and Dante entered and washed their hands at the sink. Dante had been bugging me to meet my mother and I finally gave in.

"Mom this is Dante, his mother has been really good to me" I tell her and she smiled and waved at him.

"Hey" he grinned awkwardly as he slowly sat down. Kareem gave her a nod and she opened her arms for him to give her a hug.

He looked at me and I shrugged watching him hesitate before walking over. He leaned down and hugged my mom and she held on to him tight whispering something in his ear as he stared straight ahead.

"Alright" he said quietly as she let go and nodded. I gave my mom a look of annoyance not knowing what she told him.

Glancing at the look on my face she tapped my hand instead to comfort me. I didn't think she told him about my eating disorder but I knew it was something.

It wasn't one of those things that mattered to me anymore. I wasn't starving myself I was eating and I was fine, if I wasn't struggling anymore why should I tell him?

"My baby will be eighteen in four days, are you excited?" She asked and I chewed my lower lip and nodded.

"Mama I am but I have to tell you, I plan to drop out and get my GED. I can't go back to school and sit in those boring classrooms I'm ready to be done with all of this and start my life" I sighed and she remained quiet stroking my straightened hair.

"Do whatever makes you happy baby, as long as you aren't struggling for money and happy. Kareem what do you think about this?" My mom asked.

"I'm a make sure she really does it, Corrine is smart and I think if she doesn't want to attend another year of high school she has the choice not to do so" he shrugged and my mom smiled in agreement.

The room grew quiet and I just rested my head on my mothers chest holding her hand. She took a deep breath which she did when she was nervous about saying something.

"Corrine please don't fall for any of Isis's lies, she's a horrible person baby. I think she's plotting something that will get her killed" she said looking at Kareem and he leaned forward in his seat.

"Like what?" I asked growing confused. Dante looked over at all of us wondering the same thing I was wondering.

"I don't know okay she's just a sneaky woman. I trust you with Kareem even though I know what he does for a living" she said and his eyes widened in surprise.