Chapter Twenty Six - Cornered

K A R E E M

I sat patiently, waiting, thinking just wanting to be free from a lot of shit. When I lost my father I lost everything and I never fully coped with that even though I'm trying and then Corrine comes along and I fall in love with her and I began to move forward and build my self esteem back up but the world won't let me do that because it's this black hole in my chest that won't go away and I can feel Lyric picking at it.

Stretching my arm out I flicked the lighter and watched the blue flame go back and forth while burning a small metal key I had no use for anymore it went to my old apartment. Once the metal had melted some and turned a darker burnt color I pressed it to my wrist all while biting on my lip holding in the pain.

The burning sensation lingered once I pulled the metal away from my skin leaving a scar. Dropping the lighter and the key onto the public bathroom floor I sniffled mentally cursing myself for crying, not from the pain on the outside but the pain inside of me.

I waited a couple of moments before picking up everything and exited out of the stall. Sticking my lighter into my pocket I tossed the burnt metal in the trash and took in my appearance in the mirror feeling a sense of relief.

My lip was busted but that wasn't unordinary, shit it was a habit I had of lip biting. The flowers that sat on the counter near me made me remember why I'd come to the hospital in the first place and I leaned over the sink breathing deeply trying to keep my composure.

Grabbing the flowers I left out but not before I noticed a pair of feet under one of the stalls. I closed my eyes briefly and continued walking shaking my head at the fact that somebody had witnessed my small break down.

Glancing at my phone I looked at the text again before stepping into an elevator alone. I thought about calling Corrine just wanting to talk to her but decided against it she'd been acting as a comfort blanket recently when I needed to express myself.

Stepping out of the elevator I walked down the hallway looking down the busy hospital floors. Spotting a room number I slowly walked in and looked straight ahead while dropping flowers on her bed in front of her.

"They have me on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy, but our son is okay. Not that you care considering you pushed me down the stairs attempting to kill him" Lyric said glaring at me and I ran a hand down my face.

"Right because you didn't do anything at all to me, I attacked you on purpose because I'm unstable and felt like it" I said sarcastically and she pursed her lips together.

"Regardless you were wrong for pushing me, my son didn't ask to be here"she said placing her hand on her stomach and I raised an eyebrow.

"You don't give a fuck about that baby and you know it. I'm the one that talked you out of the abortion but we all know why you decided to keep it. I don't care it's to late to change fate but don't act like the victim because you aren't" I replied continuing to stare at her.

"Whatever Kareem go finish playing house with your thot" she said motioning for me to go away and I clenched my jaw.

"Stop doing that shit! Stop bringing her into everything her name wasn't brought up but you just had to say something. This shit is between us don't got shit to do with Corrine!" I snapped and she looked down fearfully.

Everything was quiet and she continued to play with her stomach. Folding my arms I took a seat and played with my hands.

"The doctors are saying he's going to come earlier and be a preemie, they're trying to keep him inside of me as long as possible but my doctor said just be ready in a few weeks. You can take your DNA test as soon as he comes out and after you look stupid for denying your child we can talk about how I want to arrange custody" she said and I scratched my chin.