Chapter Twenty Nine - I Bet

C O R R I N E

August laid on my chest asleep in a sling as I walked around the beach house looking like death. My hair was up and messy resembling a birds nest and bags had formed under my eyes showing the lack of sleep i'd had the night before.

Flipping on the light in the kitchen I walked over to the fridge and pulled it open and grabbed a bottle i'd pumped the night before when my phone started to ring. August began to shift making me squint my eyes in annoyance.

Pulling my phone from my sweat pants pocket I glanced at Dante's number. "What do you want? When did you even leave?" I questioned rocking my son slowly so he'd go back to sleep but to no avail he was going to cry.

"I left to go handle some business I just called to remind you, Kareem was coming later and if I'm not back act civil with him. I'm tired of the both of you acting all shitty towards each other and poor Aug and I are trapped in the middle" Dante teased and my eyes widened realizing i'd forgotten i'd even agreed to this.

"Wait a minute why is he coming again? I thought we agreed he'd wait until I came back?" I questioned trying to hide the annoyance in my tone and Dante sighed.

"We talked about this, the man wants to see and hold his son. He already missed a month and I understand why which is why i'm not judging you but keeping him away any longer isn't right. We might not be coming back remember" Dante said and I sighed sadly knowing he was right and I didn't want him to be right.

"Never mind, I don't want to keep him away. It's just I still hate him for everything he did and I hate I still love him. Part of me wants to get back with him but I know we're to toxic for each other and it wouldn't work" I said quietly trying to over talk my sons crying.

"Sometimes things happen for a reason. He needs time to mature and figure out what he really wants and now that Lyric is out of the picture he's free to do that" Dante said attempting to cheer me up.

"Is it bad that I feel so guilty for having August when she lost her baby. I know I hate her but it's still sad whenever a baby dies, Kareem is having a hard time coping with that and I understand" I said quietly sticking a pacifier into my sons mouth.

A child dying is horrible and I don't really blame Kareem if he did act sorta distant with August. He hadn't held him yet or gotten to bond but I could tell he'd be the protective father type, we'd gotten into an argument the night before because he was scolding me for not comforting our crying son even though he was only crying because he wanted to be held.

"I gotta go before he freaks out" I laughed watching the pacifier fall out of August's mouth as he cried. Dante and I hung up and I sat the phone on the counter before warming my sons bottle up.

Once the bottle was ready I tested it before putting it to my sons mouth and he began to drink. I was still having a hard time coming up with a schedule and sticking to it, times like this I wanted my mothers advice because I knew she'd tell me what I was doing wrong.

Someone knocked on the sliding glass door and I glanced up locking eyes with Benji. He was the nice twin and Tray was the untrustworthy one. I tried to just keep my distance but he was often around to comfort me when Dante wasn't and I just wanted to sit and cry.

Slowly walking over I struggled to unlock the door and once I did he pushed it open and stepped inside. His sculpted body was in view due to the gym shorts that hung off his waist revealing his V line.

"What did you cook this morning? You also look ugly as fuck" He said simply as he moved around me. Frowning I looked at him and he stuck his tongue out as he laughed at me.