Chapter Six - Forbidden Emotions Part One

K A R E E M

I felt someone grabbed my arm and paused turning around seeing Corrine fully dressed as she stared at me innocently ready to follow me out.

"It's two in the morning, why you up?" I questioned and she shrugged her shoulders walking under my arm going out the door and I smacked my teeth following her out as she locked the door behind us.

We walked up the street as I pulled a hoodie over my head and kept my head low as we walked past a group of men chilling out in the front.

My car was parked a few streets over just in case somebody figured out what kind of car I was riding in they wouldn't know where I was at exactly.

I unlocked the car and she got inside with me remaining quiet. Starting the car I let it warm up before looking over at her as she played around with her hands. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat avoiding my gaze.

"You not gon say nothing slick?" I asked and she slowly shook her head no before I heard her sniffle as a tear ran down her face and all I could do was laugh and shake my head.

"I had a dream my parents were still married and happy, and when I woke up I realized that my life was still as fucked up as it was before" she said rubbing her eyes continuously.

"At least you got an older sister that love you and care about you. When my pops died I was alone and ain't have nobody accept O'Sage and Dante" I shrugged pulling off and her crying had stopped.

"You don't ever talk about your mom, why?" She asked and I shrugged as I cruised around looking at my surroundings feeling slightly paranoid.

"I don't want to talk about it" I said and she nodded leaning back in her seat sadly. She chewed her bottom lip.

"Sometime I feel like I can relate to you and you came into my life for a reason because your just as lonely as I am" she said quietly and I made a face as I watched her look at me.

"You got family who love you and a best friend, how lonely could you possibly be?" I questioned and she chewed on her lip.

"You can still feel lonely in a crowd full of people, I just have nobody to relate to everyone in my life is already screwed up" she shrugged as I pulled off turning the radio as some Keyshia Cole song came on and she began to sing.

I felt a smirk come on my face and I couldn't control it. I just drove around with her singing off key trying her hardest.

I had no idea where I was going and that's how it was most nights. I'd just ride around until I got tired because I couldn't go to sleep.

I suffered from insomnia and would be up for three days straight for no reason at all. My phone started to ring in my pocket and I glanced down at the number seeing it was Lyric.

Hitting ignore I pulled up to a corner store not seeing anybody in the front. Leaving the car running I hopped out and jogged inside staying alert about my surroundings.

I grabbed some blacks, rolling papers and a few snacks as the bell rung signaling someone had walked in to the store.

Throwing twenty dollars on the counter I glanced behind me seeing some pregnant woman walking up and down the aisles in search of formula.

Giving her another glance I saw the cashier watching her as she slipped things into her jacket and as he was about to say something I stopped him.

"Here's a hundred dollars, give her the change after you take what she owes" I said and he nodded slowly looking at me.

Grabbing my stuff I gave him a nod leaving out of the store. Getting into the car the radio was cut off and Corrine was playing some game on her phone.