Tall Tales

"Sorry, I'm afraid I can't permit you to search anything without Master Diluc's permission." The head housemaid of Dawn Winery, Adelinde, says.

"Is he not here?" Y/N asks.

Adelinde shakes her head. "He went out a few moments ago. You're welcome to come back tomorrow." 

She's sketchy. Y/N eyes the blonde woman up and down before shooting Kaeya a glance from the corner of her eyes.

"We have time. We can wait for his return." Kaeya says to the maid.

Adelinde purses her lips before responding, "Alright. You're alwasy welcome to stay Master Kaeya- and friends." She gives them a tight smile before inviting them inside.

Kaeya, Y/N and Donna take a seat at the long table in the main room. It's quite dim inside the building. The windows don't bring enough sunlight in to light up the interior and the enterance is lit with candles and warm-tone lights. Even so, Y/N can tell this place is expensive. No doubt, this is a rich guy's place. From the subtly lavish decor to the golden accents on the walls, everything about this place screams "classy."

As Y/N is admiring the interior decorating skills of- definitely not Diluc, she can't help but notice Donna's leg bouncing in nervousness.

"Didn't you say you have business to do here?" Y/N asks Donna. 

Donna snaps out of her anxious trance. "Oh! Right. I need to grab some fresh Lamp Grass for Flora's shop." She replies, before tucking a brown lock of stray hair behind her ears. "I almost forgot. All I can think about right now is Diluc..." She mutters.

I swear to the Gods, if she starts rambling about him-

"I can't believe I'm actually inside the winery. This is ground he's walked on, this is a table he's sat at!" She exclaims as if Diluc is some Archon worth worshipping.

"Yeah, sooo surreal." Y/N replies sarcastically, throwing Kaeya a look. He only chuckles. Donna ignores Y/N's comment, too lost in her own world to care.

"I can't believe I might see him today! Wait- I'm going to see him today!" Donna's face of excitement quickly turns into one of anxiety. "I'm not dressed up or anything! Do I look fine like this?" 

"Well, this is how you always look." Y/N responds. "Interpret that how you will."

"Diluc doesn't care too much about physical appearances." Kaeya states. "If he did, he definitely wouldn't be single by now." Kaeya half-jokes, but speaks the truth. As the richest (and arguably one of the most handsome) bachelor in all of Mondstadt, Diluc has people like Donna fawning over him. If it weren't for his prickly personality, I'm sure he would have no trouble finding a partner. Y/N says to herself.

The front door of the winery opens and Y/N turns in her chair to see a flash of cherry red hair. Diluc walks in with an irritated expression on his face. "What are you two doing here?" He glares at Kaeya and Y/N, completely ignoring the third person.

"Aw, why so hostile? You didn't miss me?" Kaeya responds, a sly grin on his lips. He continues when Diluc doesn't reply. "We're just here to investigate some reported suspicious activity at this winery."

"You aren't even the investigator. It's bad enough that the Fontaine Runaway is here, you didn't have to tag along." Diluc gestures towards Y/N. "And what suspicious activity?"

Y/N turns to Donna who seems to be stuck in a trance as she stares at the red-haired man. "You can go pick your flowers and grass, or whatever. Case details are confidential."

"A-Ah, alright. I'll be back." She says, walking off, but her gaze stays fixated on Diluc all the way until she's out of the building.

"Who was that?" Diluc questions. "Nevermind, just tell me why you're here."