Golden Flames

The low hum of tavern patrons filled the air. The high energy in Angel's Share had settled down as patrons steadily leaked out of the tavern as the night went on.

Y/N's head rested lazily in her hand as she leaned on the bar. The golden lights of the tavern were way too bright and slightly blurry in her drunk vision. She had drunk far too much in her elated sense of accomplishment after successfully resolving the issues with Donna.

Y/N watches Diluc lift the tavern chairs onto the tables and organize the remaining cups and glasses behind the counter. Y/N admires the way the well-toned muscles of his arms flex underneath his button-up, how his white waistcoat hugs his torso, and how his sleeves are rolled up to reveal scars that dance across the skin of his hands and forearms from years of work as a Knight.

"You're so pretty," Y/N mumbles drunkenly. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

Diluc quirks a brow at her, his lips curving into a slight smile at her silliness. Y/N doesn't miss the tinge of red blooming at the tips of his ears. 

"Yes, I do. She's you." He responds, placing the last cup down and leaning against the bar to match Y/N's level. "Unofficially." He adds under his breath.

Y/N's eyes light up. "Wow! Are you really all mine? How did I end up with someone so great?" Y/N asks, twirling the strands of scarlet hair framing the side of Diluc's face.

Diluc shrugs. He kisses the tip of her nose, and Y/N bursts into giggles. "I'd say you're a pretty good catch, too."

"Another drink, please." Kaeya slurs drunkenly from Y/N's left, not lifting his head from the table.

Diluc glares at his brother for ruining the moment. "Go home already." He hisses. "We're closed."

"You're kicking me out again?!" Kaeya sighs exasperatedly. "Don't be like that, Diluc! Why does Y/N get to stay? This is so unfair." He mutters.

Diluc crosses his arms, narrowing his eyes at Kaeya. "I know you aren't even that drunk." Diluc states. "Do you want me to drag you out again?"

Kaeya chuckles. "No thanks." He quickly raises his hand in defence. "You singed my beautiful hair last time." Kaeya quickly gets up from his seat before his silver eye flickers down to Y/N. "I'll leave her in your capable hands."

A cold blast of winter wind enters the tavern as Kaeya swings open the door and leaves.

Y/N tugs on the edge of Diluc's sleeve. "Are you going to kick me out too?"

Diluc's gaze quickly softens. "Of course not. But, the tavern is closed, so we should leave." Diluc slips on his coat and fixes up Y/N's jacket so that she's bundled up properly.

Y/N staggers as she gets up from her seat. Diluc quickly catches her before sweeping her off her feet, deciding it's better to carry her than let her stumble around. Y/N lets out a yelp of surprise as she's lifted into his arms. Diluc kicks open the tavern door and steps out before making his way towards Y/N's house.

-----

As Diluc carries Y/N into her house, Y/N reaches over his shoulder to flick on the lights since his hands are clearly preoccupied. Y/N's house is a lot smaller than the Dawn Winery Manor, but it feels quite cozy. Diluc remarks how well Y/N's home suits her.

"Where should I drop you off, princess?" Diluc asks teasingly.

"Up." Y/N points up the stairs to the loft where her bedroom is. "And I'm not a princess. Don't you remember what that girl in Liyue said? You're my pretty princess." Y/N jokes. During their walk here, Y/N had thankfully sobered up enough to have a sensible conversation.

Diluc scoffs, the tips of his ears blushing pink. "You're going off the logic of a little girl." He climbs up the stairs to reveal Y/N's room- well, Y/N's floor. There isn't a wall to separate her bedroom from the rest of the loft.

"Sounds like sound logic to me." Y/N giggles as Diluc carries her to her bed. 

"Sounds like it's time to go to bed," Diluc responds, dropping Y/N onto her sheets with a soft thud.

Y/N grabs Diluc by the collar, pulling him down as well. "Lay with me."

He can smell the faint scent of wine wafting off her breath from their close proximity. He gulps, trying to keep his composure. "In these clothes? I'll dirty your sheets."

"I'm already in bed wearing my work clothes. I'll just wash them later." Y/N states before rolling over to the left side of the bed. She pats the spot next to her for Diluc to lay down.

He sighs in defeat before laying down next to Y/N, who takes her jacket off. He blushes furiously and shuts his eyes. "Don't. You're drunk."

"I'm just taking my jacket off." Y/N chuckles at his response. Her lips curve up into a smirk. "Why? What did you think I was going to do, hm?"

The blush on his face intensifies. "Nothing."

"Your ears sure are red." Y/N remarks before discarding her jacket somewhere on the bedroom floor. She shivers as the cold air hits her skin. "Why the hell is it freezing in here?" She grumbles.

Diluc wraps his arms around her, and Y/N embraces the exceptional warmth exuding from him due to his pyro vision.

"Wow, we're like penguins." Y/N remarks, recalling something Diluc had said months ago.

Diluc chuckles, running a hand through Y/N's hair and inhaling her familiar, sweet scent. "Well, this penguin is wondering how your day was."

"I didn't have much work to do," Y/N says, inhaling Diluc's sweet scent of grape and whatever expensive cologne he has on as she talks. "I spent most of my day reading up on Fontaine Law at the library. I'm planning to fight my family's contract at court."

Diluc grins, pride swelling in his chest. "I knew you wouldn't just go down without a fight."

"Of course. Who do you think I am?" Y/N responds, a fiery determinating in her eyes. "I came to Mondstadt at sixteen despite being oceans away. I found a way to get to Liyue when there weren't any carriages. I came back after almost dying while fighting the Fatui," She lists. "And I didn't give up on you after our argument even when you were very obviously ignoring me." She adds.

Diluc winces at her last comment. "Yeah... sorry about that." He mumbles. I just didn't want to lose you, too.

Y/N nods. "I know. Plus, you had every right to be mad at me. I was being an idiot." She chuckles. "It all worked out in the end." She lifts her head to face Diluc.

As their gazes meet, Y/N feels as if his ruby eyes nearly suck her into a trance. Like a pool of molten lava swirling with fiery reds and golds that she could swim in forever. 

I've fallen way too hard. She notes. Little does she know, Diluc thinks the very same about her.

A cold gust of air blows into the room, snapping them out of their heads. Y/N blinks as she and Diluc note how much the temperature has dropped.

"We closed the front door, right?" Y/N asks, and Diluc nods.

Just to make sure, he stands up to peer over the banister on the other side of the room. "The door is shut."

Y/N stands up. "Why is it so cold?" She wonders out loud as she descends the stairs. She flicks on the lights downstairs to spot the window on the other side of the living room side open. "The window's open." Suddenly, Y/N feels completely sober.

Diluc quickly comes down the stairs as his eyes follow Y/N's towards the window. "Did you open it earlier today?" He whispers to her.

She shakes her head. "It's freezing outside. Why would I have opened it?"

The two of them creep further into the house, careful not to make too much noise and alert a possible intruder.

Diluc subconsciously walks ahead of Y/N protectively as they enter the living room. A head of hair on the couch catches his eye. Walking up to the couch from behind, he peers over to see a little girl lying there.

His eyes widen. "It's a kid."