Queen's Gambit

Y/N's legs are noodles as she and Lilia Moreau take a seat in the room. Ironically, this court procession takes place in one of the private rooms only a few doors down from the very room Y/N had signed her freedom away four years ago.

Y/N wears her best poker face but nervously smooths down the fabric of her semi-formal pants under the table. To Y/N's right, she can see her mother, father, and Ida sitting confidently. Every so often, her mother and Ida cast piercing glances toward Y/N from the corners of their eyes, subtle enough for nobody else to notice but intimidating enough to send shivers down Y/N's spine.

"Nervous?" Lilia whispers to Y/N.

Y/N takes in a slow breath. "Yes. I'll be fine, though."

Lilia flashes a sympathetic smile. "It'll be alright. I'm sure our main argument is enough to make this silly contract void." She places a hand on Y/N's shoulder reassuringly.

Y/N flinches at the contact, brushing off her lawyer's hand.

"Yeah," Y/N nods, trying to release the tension in her muscles. "Of course." Surely a contract signed by a minor can't be valid.

Lilia's blue eyes flicker towards Y/N's family members on the right before looking forward again. Y/N can't tell what expression is behind her lawyer's stony face.

Looks like at least one of us is composed. Y/N notes as she tugs on her collar. The air in the room is so thick that she might suffocate before the trial even begins. She anxiously plays with the bracelet around her wrist, thinking about Diluc to calm herself down. The silver feels light and weightless- as free as she hopes to be after the trial.

"All rise." The voice of the bailiff cuts through the silence, signalling the beginning of the session.

Please, Archon of Justice, be on my side.

-----

"Safe travels, Young Master." Adelinde waves to Diluc as he boards the carriage in front of the Dawn Winery, ready to depart for his business trip.

First destination: Liyue. Then, Fontaine. Diluc thinks as he sits back in the plush carriage seat. His lips almost turn up into a smile at the thought of seeing Y/N after two whole weeks. If all goes smoothly, I'll arrive in Fontaine by tomorrow evening.

He watches the first light of dawn peek over the horizon, painting the skies over Mondstadt a vibrant pink. The rays of light bounce off of the statue of Barbatos in the distance.
Diluc isn't particularly religious, but he finds himself praying for Y/N's good luck in Fontaine's court. He doesn't doubt Y/N will win, but it won't be easy.

-----

"Has the jury reached a unanimous verdict?"

No.

"As the contract signed between Eriks L/N and Y/N L/N has been cosigned by a legal guardian- Noemie L/N, the contract is valid," The judge announces.

"This court is adjourned."

The room is the noisiest it has been since the start of the trial, with sounds of people getting ready to leave filling the room. But Y/N's ears have been deafened as if her mind is too stunned to comprehend sound. Y/N sits in her seat, unable to sit up. Her jaw hangs agape, wanting to scream, but her voice is caught in her throat.

Noemie casts Y/N a smug smirk as she exits the room, followed by Ida, who looks at Y/N with pity before rolling her eyes. Eriks simply follows the other two out of the room.

"Come on, it's time to go." Y/N's lawyer says as she prepares to leave.

Y/N numbly follows Lilia out of the room, unable to grasp what had just happened. The two stop in front of the grand doors of the building. The sky is clouded over in grey, and rain pours down harshly onto the street.