Blossoming Warmth

The walk back to Y/N's house was shorter than she hoped. Despite being so cold that their breaths turn white, and snow falls around them, Y/N has never felt so warm. She wishes she and Diluc could stay like this forever.

Y/N turns to face Diluc, matching smiles spread across their faces. She giggles, brushing the snow off of his head and shoulders.

"You have candy-cane colours now." Y/N jokes. "Red and white."

Diluc lets out a soft chuckle. "Your nose is the reddest thing there." He pinches the tip of her nose lightly. He notes the coldness of her skin. "You better go in before you start turning blue instead."

Y/N fishes her keys out of her pockets and unlocks her front door. The door swings open, but she hesitates to go in.

Diluc shoots her a questioning look. "What is it?"

Y/N takes a deep breath, cupping his face before pressing her lips onto his. "Goodnight." She quickly heads inside, shutting the door.

Oh, my Archons! Y/N sinks to the floor with her hands over her face and an uncontrollable grin on her lips. She hovers her fingers over her lips where they met his soft, warm ones.

A knock suddenly sounds on the door. He's still here? Y/N opens the door to see Diluc with ears as red as her face. "W-What is it?" She asks sheepishly. Barbatos, did I do something wrong? What if he didn't like that?

"You didn't let me say bye." Diluc says.

"Oh-"

He interrupts her with a kiss of his own. His hand comes up to tilt her chin upwards, and Y/N quickly overcomes her surprise as she leans into his warm lips. Butterflies go wild in her stomach. It lasts much longer than the quick peck Y/N gave him earlier.

They pull away, silly smiles on their lips and their hearts beating a mile a minute. "Goodnight, darling."

Y/N's face is as red as a pyro slime. "G-Goodnight!" She stutters before shutting the door.

She can hear Diluc chuckle lightly before walking away through the door.

"AAAAHHHHH!" Y/N lets out the most ungodly screech as she runs up the stairs and throws herself onto the bed.

She kicks her feet in unbridled joy and buries her red face into the pillows. Oh my Archons, she thinks as she lifts her fingers to touch her lips. Darling...

Abruptly, Y/N jolts upright on her bed. Sudden realization dawns on her like a lightning strike. There's no way I'm going to be able to leave him for Fontaine and the Fatui.

There has to be a way to escape the contract. Y/N thinks to herself, chewing on her lip thoughtfully. I could always just run away again, but Fontaine is the nation of justice. I'm so dead if I try to run from the law. Plus, I'd have to leave my job, house, and virtually anything that can be traced back to me.

Y/N fiddles with the ruby pendant dangling on her neck thoughtfully. And running away never really solved anything, did it? Running from Donna cost her her friendship, and running from Diluc almost destroyed their relationship.

A frustrated groan slips past her lips. Why is dealing with problems like a responsible adult so hard?! How am I even supposed to escape the law when I know nothing about it?!

With a sigh, Y/N ruffles her hair agitatedly before deciding she can think about it tomorrow. It's late and she hasn't gotten ready for bed yet. Plus, she doesn't want to sour the fluttery feeling in her chest left behind by Diluc.

As Y/N walks into the bathroom and begins to undress, her eyes land on the Knights of Favonious logo embroidered on her clothes. Her eyes widen and a grin spreads across her lips. She barely knew anything about the organization when she decided to become a Knight, but she learned. I don't know anything about the law, but I can learn!

A newfound determination blossoms in her chest. That's it!

-----

The snow piled up on the sides of the steps leading up to the Favonius HQ doors glitters in the morning sun. The snow seems to have put all of the Knights inside in a festive mood, already chattering away excitedly about the upcoming winter holidays.

Y/N cheerfully greets her fellow Knights as she enters the building.

"Good morning, Captain." Huffman and one of Y/N juniors, Lizzie, greets her.

"Good morning!" Y/N chirps back as she slips off her Favonius winter coat. It's similar to her old black coat, but now has a higher collar and goes down to her knees.

"You seem to be in a good mood." Huffman remarks.

"I guess I am." Y/N wonders out loud. Was my moping was really that obvious these past few weeks.

"The snow put me in a good mood, too." Huffman says. "I can't wait for the holidays."

Lizzie lets out a groan. "I certainly can. Snow means it's time for us to start clearing the roads again."

"Well, good luck with that!" Y/N quickly makes a beeline for the Library doors. After working herself half to death these past few weeks, Y/N has exhausted her supply of tasks. She should use this free time to read up on the law.

Huffman and Lizzie watch their Captain skip into the library with strange expressions.

"Is it just me, or is she exceptionally chipper today?" Huffman mutters.

"I guess she got over whatever was making her so zombie-like before." Lizzie shakes her head before the two walk off.

-----

Y/N pushes open the wooden door to reveal an empty library with golden sunlight filtering in from the frost-coated windows. A slight shiver runs down her spine at the chilliness of the room.

"Lisa?" Y/N calls out into the empty library.

"Shh!" The purple-clad librarian emerges from the shelves, hushing Y/N. "Lower your voice, sweetie."

"Oh, sorry." Y/N mutters, responding in a much quieter voice. "I just need a few books."

"Still studying up on Hilichurlian?" Lisa chuckles jokingly.

Y/N rolls her eyes. "I need to read up on the law. Foreign laws, to be exact."

Lisa quirks her eyebrow quizically. "I believe we have some law books on Mondstadt and a few other nations." She points to some shelves on the lower floor. "What nation are you looking for specifically?"

"Fontaine." She replies.

Lisa hums. "We don't have too much material on Fontaine, but there should be a book or two."

"Thanks!" Y/N says before following Lisa down the steps.

"Why the sudden interest in Fontaine law?" Lisa asks as they stop at an aisle in the far corner of the library. All the books on the shelves are in pristine condition thanks to Lisa's care and how rarely anyone picks up a book on foreign laws.

"Well, you know about the contract and my family, right?" Y/N starts, and Lisa nods. Y/N tears her eyes away from the shelf to meet Lisa's gaze with a fiery look of her own. "I'm taking it to court."