Bonds

"Here." Y/N takes Diluc's hand and wraps it around a cold glass of water.

"Isn't this my own house...?" He mutters before downing the refreshing glass.

"I'm not going make you get your own water after-" Y/N hesitates, struggling to word what just happened when she herself doesn't quite know. "that."

Y/N takes a seat next to him on the couch in front of the warm fireplace. The two stare at the flickering flames in silence before Diluc places the empty glass on the coffee table and turns to Y/N. "Aren't you going to ask what's wrong with me?"

"Nothing's wrong with you." Y/N states calmly, her eyes still trained on the dancing fire. "Obviously whatever happened back there wasn't nothing, but it also doesn't mean there's something wrong with you."

Diluc blinks at her, a little surprised by her words. "Don't you want to know, though?"

Y/N meets his gaze, his ruby red eyes harbouring a sense of tiredness. "Of course I want to know, but I'm not going to make you tell me. You should tell me when you want and when you're ready."

Diluc purses his lips while Y/N waits patiently for whatever he wants to, or doesn't want to, say. "I've mentioned that I used to be a Knights of Favonius Captain, right?"

Y/N nods her head in response.

"When I was eighteen, my father and I were attacked by a Fatui Harbinger. My father used some sort of magic to protect us, but it backfired and he was wounded. However, he wasn't killed immediately. He..." Diluc pauses, his voice lowering to a whisper. "He died in my arms. In my own hands." He stares down at his trembling palms. "I felt it and I saw it. The blood on my gloves. His blood on my gloves." He explains. "The Knights didn't want to take responsibility, so I quit."

"I see." Y/N remarks, putting her hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

He grimaces as the memory still pains him to this day. "I wanted to tell you back in Liyue when we were facing the Ruin Hunter, but I'm a coward." He sighs.

Y/N frowns. "You're not a coward. You're very brave for telling me. It isn't easy opening up like that."

Diluc clenches his jaw, not wanting to start sobbing again. He's done enough crying in front of Y/N. He faces her, meeting her soft gaze. He feels far too vulnerable around her, but he likes it.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asks softly.

"Of course." Y/N responds.

"Why were you crying?"

Y/N's eyes widen in surprise. He noticed?

"I wanted to ask back when we were walking from the woods, but I thought it would be better to take your mind off it then." Diluc explains.

Y/N smiles softly. "Well, you thought correctly. I probably would have cried if you asked me back there." She half-jokes before clearing her throat. "Ida and I had a bit of an argument. Our household back in Fontaine was- and seems like it still is, horrible. I was always in Ida's shadow and didn't have any freedom, which is why I came to Mondstadt. Ida just came to tell me how the pressure that was shared between us two was now all on her since I left. I guess she thought I grew out of my 'rebellious phase' and would come back of my own will. She thought changed into someone who would give her the apology she wanted." Y/N scoffs. "Ridiculous, I know." She mutters sheepishly. "Some sisters we are."

Y/N catches a complicated look flash in Diluc's scarlet eyes, but they quickly soften. "You shouldn't have to apologize for taking care of yourself and putting yourself first. And if you don't see her as your sister, shouldn't force yourself to do anything for her. Bonds are more than just the blood in your veins."