Arrival

"Look! We're here!" Changchang's words send a wave of dread washing over Y/N.

Y/N follows the little girl's gaze towards the familiar structures emerging from the hazy horizon. Y/N can make out the vague shapes of the dock and metallic buildings in the distance. The sun reflects off of all the metal and glass incorporated into the steampunk city. Clouds of steam and smoke billow into the sky from the city before fading into the blue sky.

Y/N feels her stomach lurch as she tries her best to keep her breakfast down where it belongs. Her palms feel clammy with sweat. After four years, Fontaine has barely changed. Despite whatever superficial differences there may be, the same claustrophobic air hangs over the city. And that isn't the fault of the city. In fact, the mixture of Rococo architecture and steampunk details make Fontaine one of the most aesthetically-pleasing nations in Teyvat. However, Y/N's image of this nation is forever tainted by her family.

As the ship reaches the harbour, Y/N's grip on the straps of her bag tightens. Disgustingly familiar, and yet the atmosphere of the docks feels foreign. Where this pier and these ships once represented Y/N's exit ticket out of the hell-hole, they now stand before her as the gateway to her doom.

"Are you feeling alright?" Ji Tong asks worriedly, seeing the sour expression on Y/N's face.

Y/N presses her lips into a thin line. "I'll be fine." I hope. She takes a sharp breath as she slings the strap of her bag over her shoulder. No going back now. You can do this. She thinks with determination as she follows the crowd off of the ship.

Ji Tong and Changchang part ways with Y/N, Changchang giving Y/N a tight squeeze before vanishing into the sea of people.

"Alright, Y/N. Let's go, brain. Entering 'work-mode.'" Y/N mutters under her breath as if it will somehow help her control nausea resonating in her belly. "You have to go meet with Ms. Moreau. You don't want to be late, do you?"

A few days ago, a lawyer from Fontaine had written to Y/N regarding her contract with her family, reminding Y/N that she needed to come back. Y/N wrote back to that lawyer, explaining her situation and asking for assistance since Y/N couldn't get any deeper information from the law books in Mondstadt.

Thank Gods she agreed to help me. There's no way I'm going to win a court case against my parents with my shitty knowledge of Fontaine law. Y/N thinks to herself as she maneuvers through the crowds.

Suddenly, a flash of scarlet hair catches Y/N's eye. Her heart skips a beat as she picks up her pace, ignorantly hoping for the impossible. "Dil- oh." Y/N frowns at the sight of her sister standing before her. You're an idiot, Y/N. Why would Diluc even be here?!

"Y/N!" Ida exclaims in a high-pitched tone. Her attitude towards Y/N has flipped one-eighty degrees since they last spoke. "Welcome home! Gods, I didn't even know if I would be able to find you amongst all these people. Looks like you came right to me." She smirks.

Y/N rolls her eyes. "Why are you here? The contract only said I had to come back to Fontaine and join the Fatui. I technically don't have to see you at all." She states as she continues to push past the crowd, leaving Ida behind.

"Oh, come on! Don't be such a sourpuss!" Ida quickly catches up to her, slinging her arm over her younger sibling's shoulder.

Y/N shoves Ida's hand off, sending her a withering glare. "I thought you said you hated me? Usually, you aren't all buddy-buddy with people you hate." She sarcastically quips.

Ida clicks her tongue at Y/N. "Are you still mad at me about what I said at the Wine-Tasting party? Listen, I'm sorry. I wasn't lying, but I was definitely way out of line. Let's just pretend it didn't happen, alright? We should try to get along if you're going to be living at the L/N estate with all of us again."