Waking Up to Reality

Y/N blinks a bit as she awakes, opening her eyes to see she had fallen asleep on the couch, a blanket loosely draped over her form. Y/N quickly recalls what happened last night, waking up fully. Her cheeks burn up as she lifts her head from the shoulder of the man who's asleep next to her. She glances around, golden slivers of sunlight sneaking in between the curtains to light up the dim room.

Y/N rubs her eyes groggily, wiping away the dry tear tracks down her cheeks. I guess I started crying while talking to him last night... Y/N thinks as she gets up carefully as to not disturb the flame-haired man still fast asleep. She smooths down her hair, the scent of burnt sandalwood from whatever expensive cologne Diluc is wearing and the faint smell of grapes lingers in her locks.

A maid, Moco, approaches Y/N as soon as she spots her awake. "Good mo-"

"Shh." Y/N hushes her, gesturing to Diluc's sleeping form.

"Oh, sorry." Moco whispers.

"What time is it?" Y/N whispers back.

"About eight in the morning." The maid answers.

I need to get to the Head Quarters, or else I'll be late for work. Y/N thinks. "Can you get me a piece of paper and a pen?"

Moco nods before scurrying off. Y/N looks over to Diluc on the couch, a small smile creeping onto her lips. He looks so peaceful. She thinks. And a lot less grumpy compared to when he's awake. She chuckles to herself quietly before hurriedly averting her gaze as soon as she realizes she's been staring. You're being weird! Stop watching him sleep. Y/N scolds herself as Moco returns with a pen and note.

"Thank you." She whispers to the maid before scribbling a quick thank-you note for Diluc's help last night and sticking it on the table in front of the couch.

Y/N spares one last glance at the sleeping man before bidding goodbye to the servants who are awake and leaving the Dawn Winery.

-----

"Captain Y/N!" The energetic outrider, Amber, bursts out of the Knights of Favonius Head Quarters' doors holding a belt with Y/N's rapier sheathed on its side. "You left your weapon outside on the training grounds!"

Y/N gratefully takes her rapier back from Amber. "Thanks, how did you know it was mine, though?"

"I asked around and Jean said it was yours." Amber replies. "I thought so when I saw the familiar, intricate details on the guard. I just didn't think you'd leave this out."

Me neither. I almost got killed because of that. Y/N thinks, adjusting the belt around her waist. "I forgot it last night. Thanks, Amber."

"No problem!" Amber says. Her golden eyes flicker down to the bandage wrapped around a tear in Y/N's pants. "What happened to your leg? Are you alright?" She asks worriedly.

"Yeah, don't worry about it. Just a little scratch." Y/N reassures Amber. "Anyway, I'm heading inside to grab my work for today. Good luck today, Amber!"

"Wait," Amber stops Y/N before she can turn away. "Jean told me she wants to see you in her office when you get here."

Y/N's smile falters for a moment. "Ah, got it. Thanks, Amber." Y/N waves bye and quickly heads inside the Head Quarters, her smile vanishing as soon as her face is hidden from Amber's view. Oh shit, am I about to be forced on break?! Y/N chews on the inside of her cheek nervously, remembering her argument with the Acting Grand Master last night. I shouldn't have been so upset yesterday. I'm screwed, I'm screwed, I'm screwed! Her thoughts scream at her.

Y/N stops in front of the door to Jean's office, taking a deep breath in before entering. 

"Good morning, Captain Y/N." Jean greets Y/N. "Take a seat."

"G-Good morning." Y/N curses herself for stuttering as she sits down in front of Jean in one of the wooden chairs pulled out from the table at the side of the room. 

"Y/N-"

"Master Jean-"

The two accidentally talk over each other. 

"Sorry, you go first." Y/N quickly says.

"No, it's alright. I assume you're going to say something about last night?" Jean asks.

Y/N nods. "I just wanted to apologize about getting a bit worked up yesterday." She sheepishly says. "I know you're just worried about my health and I totally understand if I get put on break." Y/N states. "But I really hope you don't." She adds quickly.

"Don't worry." Jean replies. "I must have come off a little insensitive yesterday. You should be taking care of yourself, but that's not why I called you into my office today."

Y/N blinks. "Oh." Y/N watches as Jean's expression turns more serious, her eyes carrying a hint of sadness. Oh Gods, what else did I fuck up? Y/N begins to panic. I knew it. I knew there was no way I'd be the best at my job. I disappointed her, didn't I?

"Y/N, I received a letter today- it was addressed to you actually," Jean starts before placing an envelope on the desk between them. 

Y/N's eyes widen in shock as her gaze lands on the lilac-coloured envelope with the Fatui logo imprinted on the center. A stamp from Fontaine is stuck on the top right corner. Her heart drops to her stomach, a terrible wave of dread washing over her like a tsunami. Y/N can't seem to move a muscle, but her hands tremble like never before. Y/N feels as if she has just been abruptly woken from a peaceful slumber, her dream shattering. The life she thought she had escaped only chased her, hitting her like a truck as it catches up.

While spending four years in Mondstadt like a blissful daydream, Y/N had forgotten all about the reality of her situation. Memories from Fontiane feels like a foggy nightmare from a lifetime ago, drowned out by the smell of Mondstadt's sweet winds and freedom. However, here she is, violently woken from her dream-like state and now brutally aware of reality.

Y/N musters up the strength to finally speak up. With a quivering voice, she utters, "Looks like it's time, huh."