Case Closed

No sign of Ida anywhere! Y/N plops down on the edge of the stone fountain in the city centre. After about an hour of asking around and getting nowhere, Y/N rests her legs for a moment. Did she leave the city? She hasn't caught Igor yet, so her mission isn't complete. Y/N wonders as she watches people laughing and talking as they walk by. How am I going to close the case and arrest her and her group if I can't even find them?! Y/N lets out a sigh and her shoulders slump down.

"Captain Y/N!" A cheerful voice suddenly calls out to her from behind. Y/N looks over her shoulder through the curtain of water falling from the fountain to see an energetic outrider.

"Amber, hi!" Y/N waves to the girl rushing over.

"I heard you're looking for someone. A Fatui to be exact." Amber says and Y/N's eyes light up.

"You found her?!" Y/N exclaims eagerly.

"Err...not exactly, but I did see a blonde Fatui near your place this morning!" She says. "I don't really know what they look like, but they were blonde and wearing the Fatui uniform. I guess that criteria isn't really specific, huh..."

Ida must have come by my house before I arrived in Mondstadt. She probably won't be there anymore, but it's better than nothing. Who knows, maybe she left some tracks. Y/N stands up. "Thank you so much, Amber! You're the best!" As Y/N turns to start rushing towards her residence, a familiar black cat slips through her legs.

"Ah!" Y/N flails her arms around as she loses her balance, not wanting to step on the poor kitty. Time seems to go in slow motion and Y/N falls back into the cold fountain with a splash.

"Captain Y/N!" Amber worriedly shouts out.

Y/N sits up, completely drenched in fountain water. She glares at the cat. "Margaret better lock this fucking cat up or so help me." She grumbles.

As Y/N gets back on her feet, she freezes and falls into the water once again. Her eyes go as wide as saucers as she spots a familiar head of red hair walking up the steps of the city and pushing through the crowds. This is not the best position to be in. Y/N thinks as she locks eyes with Diluc.

Diluc walks over to Amber and Y/N, eyebrows raised questioningly at Y/N's current state; In the fountain. Drenched.

"D-Diluc! Aren't you busy? I thought you were occupied with the Wine-Tasting stuff? Im pretty busy too, you know? Not busy swimming in fountains, though. I don't like.....swimming in fountains....? " Y/N fumbles over her words as she tries to explain her embarrassing situation. Shut up, Y/N. She tells herself before spotting her assaulter. "The cat pushed me in." She points to Prince who is casually preening himself by Amber's feet.

"Pfft-" Diluc fails to surpress his laughter, turning his head away to collect himself.

Y/N stares at him, never having seen the ever-stoic Diluc laugh more than a short chuckle. "H-Hey! This isn't funny! Okay, maybe it is a little bit. But I fell in because of the stupid cat!" She explains.

"You always blame the cat." Diluc extends his hand out which Y/N gladly takes.

"Because I'm only ever in these situations because of the cat." She retorts with a chuckle as she stands up, water dripping from her clothes.

Amber looks on awkwardly, a million questions spiralling through her mind. The last time she saw Captain Y/N and the Wine Prince together, they were anything but friendly. Now, they're laughing together? Her golden eyes drift down to where Y/N and Diluc are still holding hands even though Y/N has already been helped up. If Amber didn't know any better, she could have mistaken them for a couple!