Sounds of Snowfall

Y/N knocks on the Winery's front door, trembling in her boots from a mixture of things. The cold night winds, the adrenaline rush from confronting Donna earlier, and the fear of facing Diluc all send shivers down Y/N's spine.

Adelinde opens the door with the same tired expression she has been wearing these days. "You're a little late today. Everything alright?"

Y/N nods. "Sorry, I just had some things to take care of. Is Diluc..."

Adelinde shakes her head with a sigh before Y/N even finishes her sentence, already predicting Y/N's usual question.

"Not here today either, huh..." The fear that Y/N may see him today is replaced by the disappointment of not seeing him. Y/N gives Adelinde a soft smile. "Sorry for bothering you all. Goodnight."

Adelinde shuts the door, and Y/N lets out a heavy sigh. 

What if I can't fix things before I go? The thought causes her to choke up. 

Don't you dare! Y/N curses herself as she sniffles, quickly wiping away the tears forming in her eyes. After so much crying, Y/N has only gotten sick of her own tears.

Y/N turns to walk back home when the sound of the front door swinging open freezes her in her tracks. Golden light from inside spills out onto the porch and over Y/N's figure as Adelinde's cry for Diluc to wait a moment rings out a second too late.

Y/N's breath hitches in her throat. Oh, Archons. He's behind me, isn't he? Y/N gulps.

Time seems to stop. Y/N's limbs suddenly feel as if they're made of lead. She can't bring herself to turn around. Her heart races with nervousness. What are you waiting for? 

What expression is he wearing? Does he still hate me? Is he angry? Or is he still... Diluc's hurt expression he wore the night of their argument flashes through Y/N's mind. Y/N's face scrunches up with pain. I can't bear to see him like that anymore. I need to fix my mess right now.

Y/N spins around on her heels to face the front door. "Di-"

Before she can even lay her eyes on him, the door slams shut.

"Ah."

A moment of silence passes. A bitter grin makes its way onto Y/N's lips. Gods, I'm such a fool! He's been avoiding me for weeks! Why did I think he would want to see me?

Y/N takes a deep breath, the cold temperature turning her exhale into a puff of white. She stares at the daunting door. It stares back, unmoving as if to show her the barrier between them. No matter how long she stands there, the door stays shut.

Y/N shakes her head at herself before tearing her eyes away and walking down the steps of the porch. Hot tears drip from her eyes as she calmly walks back to Mondstadt.

-----

Diluc's heart pounds and aches in his chest. His forehead leans against the front door, and his hand clutches the handle so tightly his knuckles are white. He was caught off-guard by Y/N's presence. Usually, she comes by earlier in the evening, and he gets Adelinde to send her away. Why is she here so late? 

Although he had successfully avoided her for such a long time, the feelings she brings still feel raw. Too raw. But as much as they hurt, they feel real. He feels vulnerable and human around her in a way he can't explain. 

Y/N came all the way here. I didn't even let her explain herself. Am I really going to let her go over my overreaction while drunk? 

Am I going to lose her like this?