What You Possess

"Back again, Y/N?" Charles greets Y/N as she steps into Angel's Share for this week's seventh time. The warm air of the tavern provides a small respite from the autumn cold outside.

She sighs. "Still no sign of Diluc?" She mutters, and Charles shakes his head.

Where the hell is he? Y/N thinks. He's got to be avoiding me.

Every morning before work, Y/N visits the Winery only to be turned away by the maids. Every evening after work, she visits the tavern only to see Charles at the bar instead of Diluc. Ever since she decided to make up with Diluc, he has disappeared from her sights.

She lets out an agitated groan, earning a few odd glances from the other patrons. Is this the Archons' way of telling me not to approach him?!

Y/N dejectedly plops down on a barstool, resting her head wearily on her arms.

Charles gives her a concerned glance as he wipes down a few glasses. "Did you two fight?"

"Something like that." Y/N mutters out in response.

"I'm sure it'll be fine." Charles says reassuringly. "Couples fight all the time."

"We aren't a couple." Y/N sighs out for what feels like the hundredth time this week. Rumours about Diluc and her have spread like wildfire, and at this point, Y/N doesn't think she can stop them.

"Oh, my apologies." Charles replies. "Would you like a drink? On the house."

Y/N shakes her head. "Sorry, I'm not in the mood."

Y/N can hear the door of the tavern swing open. "Captain Y/N!" Amber's ever-so cheerful voice rings through the air.

Y/N sits up in her seat, turning towards the Outrider. "Hey, Amber."

"Are you busy right now?" Amber asks. "I could use a little help."

"Oh, of course." Y/N stands up from her seat. "Help with what?"

"Margaret asked me to find her cat again, but it keeps running from me. Then, I remembered how much that cat likes you." Amber explains.

Y/N's eyes light up. That cat always somehow brings me to Diluc! "No problem!" Y/N enthusiastically responds. "Let's go!"

"Thanks!" Amber smiles, seeing Y/N's face brighten.

Amber leads Y/N to the spot she saw Prince last, in front of the front gates.

"Swan, Lawrence!" Amber calls out. "Did you happen to see a black cat leave the city?" They both shake their heads.

"Prince must still be in here." Y/N remarks. "Come on."

-----

The cold evening breeze soon turned into a bitter night wind as the sun had slipped behind the horizon. The number of people out and about has significantly decreased as most shops are closing up by now. Y/N and Amber's pace had slowed down to a slow walk. Both of their legs are too tired to carry on for much longer.

"Captain," Amber asks in a haggard voice. "Should we stop for today?"

"Where the hell does this cat disappear to for so long?!" Y/N exclaims exasperatedly. 

Suddenly, a hiss echoes through the street, accompanied by a panicked shriek. Amber and Y/N look at each other with wide eyes and a grin on their faces. "Prince!" They both exclaim as they run towards the sound.

The two turn the corner to Floral Whisper, Flora's flower shop, to see a familiar black cat hissing at Donna, who is hiding behind a display of plants.