The Game

The sunshine floods through the glass, dome-shaped roof over Ms. Moreau's home office. The sounds of Y/N's boots hitting the checkered floor announces her presence to the woman sitting behind a mahogany desk.

"Good afternoon, Ms. L/N." A woman who looks to be in her early thirties stands up to greet Y/N. Her hay-blonde hair is pulled into a loose bun, and she wears a white blouse under a chocolate waistcoat and a plaid skirt. Big gold buttons, chains, and various accessories decorate her outfit in true Fontaine fashion.

"Hello, Ms. Moreau." Y/N approaches her desk and takes a seat in the plush armchair reserved for clients in front of Ms. Moreau's desk.

"Please, just call me Lilia." She responds before pulling out a file full of papers. "So, we're here to discuss the contract terms with your family, correct?"

Y/N nods. "Yes. I'm planning to take this to court as soon as possible."

"Alright. Let's go over the details and then discuss dates."

Hours seem to slip by as Y/N and Lilia go over every detail of the contract, Y/N's family history, and Fontaine laws. Despite the importance of the occasion, Y/N can't seem to get her mind to stop worrying about the family dinner in the evening.

"Ms. L/N?" 

"Pardon?" Y/N blink as she pulls herself away from the stress of the dinner.

Lilia lets out a small sigh before closing the file on her desk. "What's on your mind?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm just a little stressed about this evening. My family wants to welcome me back with a dinner." Y/N states. "I have a feeling it's not going to be very welcoming." She chuckles dryly.

"Ah, I see," Lilia says. "Well, from what I hear, you ran away as a teenager and are now reluctant to return. Perhaps enjoying dinner with them is a good opportunity for you to repair broken relationships."

Y/N shifts uncomfortably in her seat. "I think our family is a bit beyond repair- if you can even call it a family at all."

Lilia hums thoughtfully. "Maybe things have changed in the past few years."

Y/N doesn't respond, simply shrugging.

Lilia glances toward the large grandfather clock against the wall to her right. "Well, I believe our time is up. I'll see you at our next appointment on the weekend."

Y/N nods as she gets up from her seat. "Thank you."

"I'm just doing my job." Lilia smiles at her. "Good luck at the dinner."

Y/N flashes the lawyer a strained smile before exiting the office. As the door shuts behind her, dread floods her veins. Something tells me I'm going to need all the luck I can get.

-----

The lights scattered throughout the L/N estate flicker to life as the sun begins to set, painting the sky in hues of pink and gold. Y/N stands in front of the gates, contemplating whether she should actually go in or not. Although the tall, black gates are wide open, Y/N still can't bring her foot to take a step forward.

She takes in a deep breath, smoothing her plain white blouse and retucking them into her brown leather pants over and over again to stall. Y/N wraps her Knights of Favonius coat tighter around herself, the only piece of her outfit that blatantly displays her affiliation. She toys with the bracelet around her wrist as if it somehow brings Diluc closer to her. Her hand ghosts over the side of her belt where her rapier would usually be sheathed at her side. Unfortunately, people tend to be a little wary of foreigners carrying weapons around them and bringing a sword to a family dinner doesn't sound like the brightest idea. Plus, Y/N is sure she could beat most of her family members in a physical fight. However, she doesn't think her physical well-being is what's at stake right now.