Familial Ghosts

Walking up to the couch from behind, he peers over to see a little girl lying there.

His eyes widen. "It's a kid."

-----

Both of them instantly relax and Y/N walks over to see Bluma asleep and shivering. As Diluc hurries to shut the window, Y/N shakes her awake. Her skin is cold to the touch.

"Barbatos, she's freezing!" Y/N remarks and Diluc quickly lights the fireplace.

The little girl groggily rubs her eyes. "Oh, Captain Y/N." She sleepily says. "Sorry for falling asleep here."

"What are you doing here, Bluma?" Y/N asks her, brows knitted in worry. Dagna is probably worried sick! "Where's your mom?"

She shrugs. "I ran away."

"From home?" Diluc asks, taking a seat next to the two on the couch.

Bluma nods. "She wouldn't let me see daddy."

Y/N and Diluc exchange concerned glances. "Do you know where your dad is?"

She nods. "Mommy said he's in Liyue. I don't know why we can't go see him." Her voice breaks as tears begin to fill her blue eyes. "I miss him!" She wails.

Y/N hugs the girl comfortingly as sobs rack through her small body.

"I was working on your case with your house, remember?" Y/N asks. Bluma doesn't respond, too preoccupied with crying. "Well, I saw your dad in Liyue. You should be able to see him in a few more weeks." She explains, trying to recall exactly how long Igor is to be held by the Millelith.

"Why can't I see him now?" She sobs.

"Uhh..." Y/N mutters, trying to think of a response that wouldn't ruin poor Bluma's childhood.

"He was very busy when Y/N went to see him. He has a lot of work to do." Diluc swoops in. "He misses you and your mom a lot, though. He's trying to finish his work as quickly as possible to come back home."

"But mommy gets so angry when I talk about him." Bluma sniffles.

"She's probably just tired. It's not easy to take care of a kid, the house, and make money." Diluc explains calmly. "Your mom can't also be a magician and make your dad appear."

Bluma wipes her eyes, giggling a little at Diluc's magician comment.

Y/N and Diluc both nod and Bluma finally stops crying. "Sorry for coming in without permission. Mommy says I should always ask, but I didn't know who lives here."

Y/N's eyes widen. "It's alright, but you shouldn't just walk into strangers' houses. That's dangerous!" She scolds her.

Bluma nods. "Sorry." She mumbles sheepishly.

Y/N's eyes flicker over to the clock on the other side of the wall. It's nearly midnight. "Your mom is probably worried sick. Let's get you home, okay?"

Bluma nods and Y/N walks over to the closet, rummaging for something to keep Bluma warm. Y/N hands Bluma a cropped jacket that isn't cropped at all on the seven-year-old girl's petite frame.

-----

Y/N and Diluc follow Bluma to a house on the far side of the city whose lights are still on and the face of a worried woman in the window by the front door. As soon as Y/N and Dagna meet eyes, Dagna throws the front door open, running towards them.

"Bluma!" She calls out, fear and relief evident in her tone as she tightly squeezes her daughter. "What were you thinking?! Running off alone in this weather so late at night?!" She scolds her daughter, holding back tears.