Independence Day - 5SOS

Prompt: 5sos, again, try to make sense of an American holiday. The whole Thanksgiving thing went well, so they thought they should try it again with the.. 4th of July?

Era: like 2014 I suppose- envision it however you see fit, though!

this will be unedited as always but pls lmk if there are any spelling mistakes!! Just comment <3 its currently a lil past 1 am and I'm in my bed so here we go

********

"So.. America has been a country for 245 years as of 2021?"

"That's what the calculator says," Calum shrugs.

"245 years ago today in Philadelphia, the.. what are they, looking daddies?" Michael asks.

Luke rolls his eyes.

"No! Not the looking daddies, for fuck sake Mike! The founding fathers!"

"Oh, OHHH! That sounds right. Thanks," Michael nods.

A small crackling sound is heard and all three boys turn to Calum, who us the source of the sound.

There he is, holding a firework which is about to go off, because somehow he already lit it.

"Hey! Did I do it right?" Calum beams, smiling ear to ear, just as soon as the firework goes off and bounces off just about every surface in the main area of the band house.

"Get down!" Ashton hisses. "Get down!"

They all kneel on the floor, covering their heads with their arms.

The crackling and popping eventually comes to an end, as it wasnt an exploding firework, more like a sparkler.

"Calum! Why the hell did you light it on fire?!" Ashton yells.

"W-Well.. I didnt mean to!" The maori defends.

Luke groans, rolling his eyes again, for the second of many, many times, "This holiday is for the day the US gained independence? None of its citizens can even work properly, what the hell is this illusion..!"

"I have no clue," Michael shrugs, walking out the door. "Just come on, follow me you morons."

********

"This is actually pretty nice," Ashton comments, mouth full of hamburger.

They sat outside on the grass. They noticed a neighbor down the street was having a 4th of July party, and having known Mr. Mark for a while, they casually interrupted and crashed the party.

Mr. Mark was grilling hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill on his back deck, where all of his guests were occupied, standing around, mingling in the grass and on lawn chairs. It was what true American was like, as the four Australian boys had been informed.

There were american flags draped over the roof and around the beams of the porch, and also silver, glittery stars scattered around. Just by looking in the backyard you could tell Mr. Mark took pride in his country and what it stood for.

Mr. Mark was an older man, and was in his late 70s, as he had served in the Vietnam War with the United States. He respected the other veterans who fought for independence from Britain a long while ago, and felt as though he himself lived in 1776 when they signed the Declaration of Independence. He was so proud of America he felt as though he had to have been there to see it being signed himself.

A dinging of a glass was heard, and Mr. Marl began to make a speech.

"Happy 4th of July everyone! I love this country and I am so glad I am a free man today. 245 years ago we regained our independence and we will keep it forever, no matter what. I would fight a million wars to keep what I have here. As said in the Declaration, 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.'"

"And," Mr. Mark adds, "Happy first 4th of July to my Australian boys, Calum, Luke, Michael, and Ashton!"

The mentioned boys cheer and whoop as fireworks begin to be set off outside, way less disastrous and chaotic as Calum's one firework earlier in the day.

The fireworks show in all colors of red, white, and blue, and ot feels like a real holiday. Maybe 4th of July isn't so bad after all.

********

yayyyy 👏👏👏

that's a wrap! I hope you enjoyed and I wish a happy 4th of July to all of you singe it's this Sunday! <3

~Aubree/Potatoes/Skittles