Theres is no Rose Without Thorns - Cashton

A request from my amazing, gracious, loving, sympathetic, all-heart, tenderhearted, awesome, beautiful, gorgeous, angelic, soft hearted, love (only to name a few), libracaprisun ❤🧡💛💚💙💜💖

Prompt: Ashton and Calum have been dating for a year, and they never fight, but one day they get into an argument and Ashton drives an hour just to get Calum one, single, red rose.

Era: I think 2018 works best but picture it as you wish <3

enjoy 🥺 I sure hope you enjoy sv, you're too perfect for me to mess this up 🤧

********

They sat in silence, sipping Rosé from their tall, skinny wine glasses.

Calum, putting his glass down on the coffee table, abruptly, may he add, scared Ashton out of his witts. The clink it made was surprisingly loud, but it wasn't too shocking at all, considering the deadweight of silence that overwhelmed their living room.

"Why must you be so stressful?" The Maori huffs, crossing his legs over each other, and his arms across his chest. He turns to his boyfriend with a stern look in his eyes, that went straight through Ashton's soul and into his brain.

Calum was angry. That's what those brown, fiery eyes had symbolized. That he wanted a fued.

"What do you mean, stressful?" Ashton responds, acting as if he didn't have the slightest clue. But he did. He knew. He knew, that playing dumb would just be like throwing a lit match at a trail of gasoline, but he suffered the consequences, no matter.

"I mean, you seem to be pushing me around a lot lately. Canceling date nights for work, and to hang out with friends. Saying you'll do one thing, then do another, but ending up doing nothing at all.." Calum explains, his hand gestures wavering from left to right, as if he were weighing the options of going to see a movie or eating lunch out.

"Well, maybe if you wouldn't be so sarcastic, I'd be open to spending more time with you," Ashton responds slyly, running a hand through his golden brown locks.

"I'm not sarcastic!" Calum exclaims. A flash of an emotion Ashton barely recognized, gleamed in his eyes. Hurt.

"I-I'm just speaking my opinion," the sunkissed man adds.

"Well, you're opinion is shit most of the time, Calum. Why do you think I always order takeout?" The older of the two mumbles. He stands up from the couch and walks into the mud room. His boyfriend follows closely behind.

"O-Oh yeah? Well if my opinion is such an understatement to you, maybe it'll matter if I tell you to g-get out!" Calum yells, his tone quivering fully by the end of his loud statement.

Ashton looks at Calum with a confusing, yet observant gaze. He didn't think he would ever go that far. But the door to their house was wide open, for him to step out of.

He simply nods, grabbing his car keys from the side table and his jacket off the stand beside the open door.

Ashton walks out, leaving a sniffling, glossy eyed Calum behind.

The door slams behind him, and he turns back around, hoping the noise was just a figment of his imagination, and the door would still be open and his boyfriend would be willing to kiss and make up.

But the door was shut.

Calum stood in the mud room, alone with the inordinate silence. He sniffles many more times, running both hands through his raven black hair, and pacing hither and thither across the kitchen floor.

"Congratulations, Calum. You broke someone's heart again," He mumbles. "Fucking hell, why must I be so difficult? He probably won't come back.."

********

Ashton drove.

He drove all the way across the borough, through the winding, country roads, all the way to the only florists' place he knew, on the outskirts of town. It took him slightly over an hour to get there.

He entered the aromatic shop, and looked around at all of the gorgeous bouquets of flowers. There were daisies, and daffodils, lilacs, and lillies; but most of all, what he was looking for, was a singular, red rose.

"Good evening, sir! How may I- Ashton!!" A beautiful, tanned woman, with long and silky black hair approached him. Her nametag read Sabrina. She was a good friend that Ashton had met while shopping for Calum's birthday at the party shoppe in town.

"What are you looking for, Ash? Anything in mind? I'm so glad you came to check out my store!" Sabrina asks, smiling from ear to ear.

"So.. this bouquet over here," Ashton starts to explain. He brushes the tips of his fingers over the nearest bouquet, that is stashed with a couple tulips, orchids, lisianthuses, and most specially, roses. "Can you give me one, singular rose, Sabrina?"

"Well, we don't usually sell singular flowers, but.." she trails off, and looks up at her friend. His eyes were despairing.

"We can definitely make an exception for you, Ash."

********

A knock on the door startled Calum. He had been sitting on the couch, nibbling on his alresdy run down fingernails, when the pounding of someone's fist on the door, as well as the steady rain, pushed him back into reality.

He slowly got up, and opened the door.

Ashton was standing there, with a single, red rose.

"Ashton, I-"

"Shhh, baby. Look, I'm sorry. You were right. I've been pushing you around and neglecting spending time with you. So I drove out of town to get you this one rose."

Calum glances down at the rose, then back at his boyfriend. "A symbol of love.."

"Indeed," Ashton smirks.

"Oh, I fucking love you," Calum sobs, urgently wrapping his arms around his boyfriend.

And there, between them, was a single, red rose.

********

I think this chapter holds a very deep message, more than even I myself could understand.. so hopefully all you beautiful people out there agree that this chapter is something special.

I literally distinctly remember starting writing this at like 7 something and now its 9:16.. so I hope you enjoy bby 🥺🥺 tysm sv for requesting

remember, you guys can all request!! Just leave a comment <3

~Aubree/Potatoes/Skittles