Rage

First half of the chapter is a little boring.

I've been getting a lot of annoyed/angry DMs about how much of a pussy Jason is and all I can say is, I KNOW HES A PUSSY !
I made him that way and if he stays that way is up to the storyline.
I was tired of cliche stories where the male is super strong emotionally/physically while the girl is a ditzy idiot who cries all the time and needs a man to save her. I wanted to switch it up and have Rue be somewhat logical, and strong, while Jason was not.

Rue

Jason seemingly ignored what I said about Samuel not coming out of this fight in one piece. Once we were far enough, he placed me down and leaned me against another tree.

"Rue what even happened to you?" Jason asked. "How did you end up like this?"

"I-." Talking was still very painful. My body was exhausted . The hole in my stomach was still healing. My insides were still reforming.

"N-nevermind actually. You don't have to talk. I don't want you to strain yourself."

He sat down next to me and rested his arms on his legs.

"I'm sorry if this sketch's you out, but this is as far as we can get. If you recall, we are in an illusion which could only be stopped by stopping Hunter." Jason explained. "Your father did say there was another way out, but he didn't tell me that way. Only Samuel."

I immediately knew what that other way was. Samuel made us leave the area so he could fight Hunter on his own for a reason.

I felt a tear fall down my cheek as I knew the unthinkable was about to happen.

"S-Samuel." I breathed out. "He's not going to make it."

"This is the second time you said that Rue. What do you mean he's not going to make it? Samuel is strong."

"Not even my father could fight Jason. Why are you acting so naive?"

"Your father beat him once before-." I cut him off.

"Yes, with the help of a witch."

It seemed to me that Jason may have mentally dumbed down these past few days. It seems to me that the reality of everything hasn't set in yet.

Unless he knows what's going on, but is in denial.

I turned to him and looked him in the eyes and noticed a stressed look on his face. His eyes were bloodshot red, his face was pale, yet the red undertones popping out.

"Are you okay?" I questioned more towards his sanity.

He didn't make eye contact with me, instead he stared into the distance of the illusion.

He sighed heavily and then pressed his fingers on his temple.

"Rue. All of this is happening because of me you realize that?" He said still avoiding eye contact.

"What do you mean?" I wanted him to elaborate.

Sure, I know this whole ordeal is not his fault, but some of his actions— or should I say some of the things he chooses not to do is part of the reason why we are where we are. However, in retrospect, this is all of our faults, denial, fear, secrets, and more is what led us to this point.