Chapter 18

Rue

"What is this place?" I asked as we entered some abandoned building.

"It's an abandoned building. I can't take you to my home because of everything that's going on so I contacted Samuel to meet us here after he finished talking to my father ."

"Why here though?" I asked. "This is honestly so dramatic."

We literally could've stayed in the car and talked.

"Yeah well, I just want to make sure no ears are on us."

"Where do you even live anyway." I realized he's never talked with me about certain things like where he lives and how he lives.

"In an abandoned mansion that's somewhat out of town, it's not the best home but it's suitable for the amount of people living there."

"How many people live there?" I asked. "Are they all vampires?"

He nodded his head. "A lot of newcomers who haven't turned Feral yet, also some house members and most of the council and police force."

"Oh."

Silence crowded the small room we were walking through and it began feeling a little awkward.

"You're not gonna kiss me again aren't you."

Immediately felt myself regretting saying that as soon as it came out. My cheeks started to get hot and things felt awkward.

He stopped in his tracks and turned around and smirked at me. "No."

"Good. Cause I don't know what in your right mind made you think you can do that," I started babbling on. "You know I could've really hurt you in that moment because isn't that like sexual assault. I mean who goes around kissing girls they barely know. I knew the situation was a bit sticky but-,"

"Did you forget I can read minds?" He cut me off.

Aw fucking shit. I actually did forget. Does that mean when he's around me he can hear every thought that I have. Or does he only read my mind depending on the situation?

"I don't read it all the time. Don't worry." He turned on his heel and continued walking.

A few minutes later we reached a room. There was some guy sitting in a chair focused on something. His eyes were glowing.

That glow resembled something. It resembled that night where they tried to wipe my memories away.

It took me a bit to realize this was the guy who was the cause of it the first time and the cause of my nightmares the second time.

After he did whatever he did, my life has seemingly changed.

Or maybe I'm paranoid.

No. I'm not.

"Samuel." Jason announced our arrival.

Samuels eyes slowly stopped glowing as he looked up at us.

He watched me for a time that made me uncomfortable. I started rocking back and forth and awkwardly looking around.

"Beautiful." He whistled. "Better than Hayley may I add."

Who's Hayley? I already felt myself getting jealous by the mention of her name, but I played it off really well.

"We're not here just so you can flirt with her." Jason smacked him in his head. "There's just so many questions I have that she needs to be present for. I have a theory. A shocking one."

He pointed to one chair that sat across from him.

I looked around to see if there was any other chair in the room, but there wasn't.