Chapter 19

Jason

"I- I don't know who their father is. I tried so hard to remember his face, but.. I just can't."

"I don't understand." Rue sounded destroyed. I can hear the sadness in her voice. "You acted like you didn't know anything in the car earlier. How come you all of a sudden mention this now?"

"I was in denial. I still am in denial."

"I don't understand either. When I wiped away your memories. Your memories were completely gone, a typical Dhampir can't forget."  Samuel said.

"The second time it didn't work though." She pointed out. "I remember everything from coming back to the karaoke bar, to you trying to wipe my memories away again."

"Have you ever noticed anything strange about yourself?" I got down on my knees to be face to face with her.

"Um, I broke my leg when I was 12. I remember it actually breaking, but all I did was snap it back and I was fine. Also I did get into a couple of small fights with my friends which resulted in what I thought was broken bones." She explained. "We played rough."

"You never went to the hospital to get it checked?" I asked.

"Yeah I did. The doctors said I was fine, my mom said I was fine too. So did Jeff. I Didn't question it. I just thought I was strong or I thought I made is mistake."

"You are strong." I told her.

"But that feral bite." Samuel said. "Those are fatal to vampires. How come it didn't kill you?"

"You're asking me like I know what I am. I'm being told that I am a damn half-breed and you expect me to have all the answers. All I can tell you is what I experienced and you being the smart vampires can come to a conclusion." Her mood changed fast.

At first she sounded destroyed. Now she sounds okay with it? I don't know.

"Are you okay?" I questioned her sudden mood change.

"No I'm not okay, but I'm not going to sit here and cry about it. I was going to at first but I'm not. I can't." She looked away.

Never mind. I can sense that she's feeling upset. I placed my hand on her shoulder and squeezed it for reassurance.

Silence came upon us for a few moments before Samuel bombarded her with more questions.

"Have you ever ingested human blood?"

"No, I don't even have fangs." She showed us her teeth.

"If I'm a Dhampir aren't I supposed to be smart?" Rue asked, changing the topic.

"Yeahh." I stretched out.

One thing that I know about Rue is she isn't the most intelligent person alive. I was watching her take her math test that day, and some of the easiest questions she got wrong.

I remember being frustrated that someone could be that stupid, but when I put myself in the mind of a presumed human, I could understand why.

"So I haven't unlocked my full potential." She said softly to herself.

"Your healing abilities and what your mom said is all we have to go off of. Let's not also forget you're immunity to Samuel's powers now." I pointed out.

"But Prince, she wasn't immune to it the first time." Samuel began focusing on something. "Something had to have happened in between that day that allowed this to happen."

If she's really a Dhampir we have to be careful. Considering she hasn't had contact with her father who is most definitely a vampire, once she unlocks that vampire side of her and gains her powers she may start using those powers to kill us.