Chapter 17

Rue

"I always knew they were real. I swear to god when I catch one of those little bastards." Lola mumbled to herself as she swept clean of the dust.

I sat in complete silence as I realized she now got the truth. This means she will eventually find out that Hunter and Jason are vampires and that I was keeping it from her.

I don't know what's worse, that I'm hiding a secret from her, or she hating the thing that the one person I am attached to is.

Yes, I have this weird attraction to Jason, I'm never going to openly admit it though.

I wouldn't want her to hate me, but either way it's not a good outcome because I know she's been catching feelings for Hunter.

I want to explain that this is a feral and not an actual Vampire to her but how can I do it without exposing what I actually know?

"Hey Lola?" I spoke up

"What." She still sounded upset.

"Why do you hate the idea of vampires so much, the other night you were so adamant on them being real and now that they are real you're just angry."

It's true. Every time the news came on mentioning another murder with a similar MO to the pervious, she's always pointed the fingers towards there being vampires. At the same time, she sounded a bit excited about it. Her theories too, she sounded so confident and happy about it.

She shrugged and looked down at her legs. When she looked back up to me her eyes were glossy and her eyebrows were raised and her lips were pursed. It's like she was trying not to cry.

"You know how I always tell you and the others that my parents and cousins moved to another country while I decided to stay here?"

I nod my head.

"I lied."

I widened my eyes in shock and gasped.

I remember every time Gia, Fran, and I went over to her home we always asked where her parents were. She avoided the question for so long, until she eventually ended up telling us that she lives alone. She said she didn't want to tell us because she doesn't want us to feel bad for her and she didn't want to feel like a burden. I never questioned it any further.

She works long hours most likely to pay rent. She works hard in school to get a suitable job.

I never would've second guessed her.

"Are they vampires?"

She shook her head. "They're dead."

My heart dropped.

She never told me this. In fact, I don't think she's told anyone this.

"How come-," She cut me off.

"They were the first victims in this whole murder spree ordeal. Because of that, and me being the remainder of my family, the law decided to ignore it. They knew public outrage would happen and if it's just said that they moved and I stayed back, no one would question it."

I didn't even know how to react. Lola isn't one for sympathy. She hates when people feel bad for her. Since it looked like she wasn't done talking, I stayed quiet and let her finish.

"This was 3 years ago. I was only 16." Years were coming out of her eyes at this point. "I was 16! Can you imagine coming home seeing half of your family drained of their life laying out on the carpet of the living room floor then having to fight one of those shits on your own!" She practically began screaming.

"I killed at least 3 of them. 3." She held up 3 fingers. "By myself, at 16. I knew what they were the moment I saw it. I did have doubt for a bit, but the autopsy came back showing they were drained of blood. They died slow deaths, painful."