Chapter 20

Rue

My heart feels heavy. Yet I think I did a profound job at hiding my true emotions because honestly, I am pretty scared right now.

I'm a Dhampir? Half human, half vampire? My dad is a vampire? Jeff is my half brother who is probably a full vampire and has been living for over 100 years? My mom knew about this?

Once Samuel brought me home I bawled, I cried, and I broke things. I was just so overwhelmed with emotions that I didn't know the right way to react. Although Lola was gone, the tension in my house remained, and I hated it.

Speaking of Lola,  she's for sure gonna hate me when, or if she finds out the truth. She's going to automatically label me as "evil" and she's going to possibly kill me, thus forgetting all those years we spent as friends. She's going to forget every sentimental moment we have ever had.  Not to mention, she's even going to forget about how I told her my biggest fear and that's dying.

My mother still hasn't come home yet, nor has she called my phone. That means Lola hasn't told her anything. Gia on the other hand was texting me about Jason, so Lola didn't tell her anything either and in terms of Fran, we barely text anyway and she hadn't texted me at all today.

I walked into my bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were drained and I looked terrible. I used my hand to move my hair out of my face.

How could I be a dhampir? I never craved blood, the sight of blood doesn't make me feel anything, I can't even run fast, nor do I have any of the abilities of a vampire.

This can't be real. It makes no sense.

I decided to text Jeff.

Me: Hey Jeff can you come home? We need to talk.

I waited anxiously for about 5 minutes before he called my phone.

"Jeff." I choked out.

"Rue? Are you okay?" He noticed by my voice that I wasn't doing okay.

"Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"Jeff, please tell me it's not true." I felt the tears running down my cheeks and my heart beating rapidly.

"What are you talking about Rue? Are you on drugs? I'm coming home right now." He hung up on me and I threw my phone across the room.

I walked downstairs to look at the mess that was made due to the feral. It's remains were cleaned up. I'm assuming Lola did that. However, there was broken glass, and my dry blood on the wall. My heart began feeling heavy again at the site of it.

I walked towards the kitchen and noticed a note which sat on the middle of the table. I walked closer and noticed Lola's handwriting on it.

I picked up the paper and it read:

Hey Rue. I'm sorry about earlier. You're my best friend and I would never do anything to hurt you. I'm just scared right now and I'm pretty panicked. I really hope you didn't turn into them. Please, if you come back home and read this note please text me that you're okay. I just need to know. I'm very anxious.

I love you.

I ripped up the note and threw it on the ground.

Fuck her. Fuck her life story. Fuck her.

Fuck everything.

My sadness turned into anger. I'm angry that I was practically lied to. I'm angry that my mother would tell Jason everything, but not tell me. I am angry that Jeff kept this a secret from me. I'm angry that because of this revelation, I may lose my friends, I may end up losing myself as well.