Chapter 13

Rue

"Rue I need you to do me a favor." My supervisor, Darren, asked me.

I groaned in annoyance as I know his favors literally take all day and consist of me doing non-work related things that I never really like doing.

"What." I said flatly.

"My little sister Cara wants to go on this date with some boy named Finley. She's 14. I don't know who Finley is and since I took off yesterday, I can't take off today to go make sure she's safe so I need you to do it for me."

I blinked and looked at him blankly for a few seconds. "Seriously?"

"Yes, I'm dead serious. These murders have been having me on edge recently and I don't want my sister to become a victim."

"What do I get out of this?" I know it seems like I don't care about the fate of his sister. It's just that I don't like doing things for free. Also, being out at night could put me at risk as well.

"You want a date with the one and only?" He smirked and traced his body with his hands.

"No."

"Okay fine. I'll let you take a week's worth of paid vacation." His face fell.

"Deal." I held out my pinky.

He held his pinky out and we shaked.

"If I end up dying you're going to pay for my funeral too."

"Whatever." He walked away.

"Lola guess what." I ran towards the aisle that she was stocking.

"What."

I told her that Darren asked me to practically stalk his sister's date and that I get a week's worth of paid vacation.

"That sneaky little bastard." She laughed.

"Right."

"You can't go by yourself, what if something happens to you?" She asked.

"I told him that he will pay for my funeral."

"No, no that's not good. I'll text Hunter and ask if Jason can go with you."

For some reason my skin began to feel tingly and my stomach felt jumpy at the mention of his name. I felt nervous.

The other day we had a really deep talk about immortality and it made me think a lot. It made me really feel bad for him.

"I'm literally watching every person that I once cared for die. It seems like with every person you lose, you'd be used to it to the point where you just don't grieve. But with every death, the reality of it sets in that I'm going to be here forever. It's beautiful watching what the world has become, but it's sad because with every passing day the world is dying. When the world dies? What's going to happen to me? I'm still going to be here."

"You don't have too." I sighed.

I didn't want to not see him. I felt like crying every time I look at him or think about him.

"I don't have to, but I will. I can't risk losing you." She pulled out her phone and began texting Hunter.

"How'd you get his number?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I had this dream about him that felt a little bit too real and when I woke up, his number was on my phone. I called it and he answered. He was surprised as well." She shrugged. "Maybe Fran or Gia did some voodoo shit which resulted in his number being in my phone."

I pursed my lips and grinned.

"You like him."

"Okay and?"