Chapter 16

Jason

I was awoken from my slumber by a loud siren coming from my father's room. I heard many voices panicking and footsteps moving back and forth from my room.

"CODE 42 CODE 42!" Lady Durant's voice echoed through the speaker of our home.

Code 42? In all my few hundred years of living, I've never heard a code 42 before.

Annoyed that it might be some false alarm/practice alarm, I got up, and walked out the room to go tell everyone to calm down and return to their rooms.

I was greeted by crying families who resided at our home, panicked police officials and freaked out council members as well as simpleton house members.

As I scanned the room, I spotted Hunter across the hall who looked just as confused as me.

"Hunter!" I called out to him.

I ran over to him and he looked greatly annoyed.

"I can never fucking rest in peace. Its always something in this fucking hell hole." He complained.

"What's code 42?" I assumed Hunter would know being that he has been living longer than I.

"I don't know, never heard of it." He shrugged.

"Prince Jason, and Hunter!" Sir Caleb the cleaner came running towards us. "Your father is asking for you two. Quick! You have to hurry!"

Caleb's eyes were completely dilated and I can smell the fear radiating off of him.

Hunter and I ran towards my fathers office, and was greeted by a large crowd of panicked police officials and council members. My father stood in the middle of all this looking calm as ever. But I can read that something good is not occurring.

Whatever is happening is bad.

Has someone figured us out?

Millions of thoughts ran around my head. I assumed that Rue said something, but I knew she wouldn't. She couldn't.

Someone else probably exposed us.

"He's coming back. And he's coming back soon and will be out for vengeance." My father vaguely announced to those in the room.

He?

I looked at Hunter who was in complete shock. His eyes were wide, his mouth was open. However, I couldn't sense any emotion.

"So they weren't lying." He said softly

"Hunter?" I questioned. "Do you know what's going on?"

"No. I genuinely don't, but I overheard your father talking about this 'him' with some of the council members a few years ago. I never forgot the conversation, but I never thought to share the details of it because I didn't think it was important."

I stayed silent and listened as he spoke some more.

"About 13 years ago they stuck a stake in this dude that left him unconscious. A regular stake wasn't able to kill him because he's so powerful. I'm sure there's more to it but I haven't heard that far. He pretty much betrayed us. Apparently once the feral outbreak occurred, he sided with the human government and threatened to expose our race to get rid of us because we were a danger to society. But if this happened 13 years ago, why don't I remember any of this?" He placed his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "Also, it contradicts everything your father once stood for."

I don't remember any of this either.

"Are you sure you heard the conversation right?" I was reluctant to believe the words that came out his mouth.